(21) gaining ground

Bakugo and Todoroki's match was an explosive show of emotions, and Seiko was more than relieved when the blond's pride was thoroughly beat up. The girl felt satisfied just seeing the results of the final match. She didn't worry at all at the fact that she walked in late, no one thought otherwise. By the time the girl had settled into the class's section, no one batted an eye. The sheer intensity of the match made her appearance insignificant. Everyone in the class all had incredibly strong, attention grabbing personalities and quirks. Seiko was nothing more than a voice in the wind.

The group found themselves standing before the arena on the winners' podiums. Seiko did her best to keep that meek smile, waving gratefully towards the crowds, sharing her podium with the ever-stern Tokoyami. Beside them Bakugo was absolutely livid, the muzzle on his face doing no justice to his clearly animalistic behavior. He was furious.

"In fourth place, we would have Iida, but he was forced to leave early due to a family emergency."

Seiko hid her smirk with a cough.

"Congratulations, Tokoyami kid!! You're a strong one!"

The towering figure of All Might stepped before the duo, that dastardly grin drawn across his face. Without any sort of regard of how the man practically caused the ground to tremble, he let out a mighty laugh. Tokoyami replied respectfully, but All Might's blasting voice made Seiko stand up straighter with a start. Disgust bubbled inside of her, pushed down desperately as the Pro-Hero approached her.

"Young Nakano! Wonderful fighting and tactics!! You have amazing battle sense!!"

She bowed, evading his gaze. "Thank you so much~!"

As All Might wrapped his arms around her stiff frame, Seiko could practically feel the rage radiating off of Tomura from wherever he was watching the festival. But she couldn't disagree, because she used all her strength to hold back her disgust. The bile that piled up in her throat by the proximity of the pro-hero made her want to succumb to the boiling irritation inside of her. This was the icon of peace for a society of liars.

This was the man who cost her family everything.

He let her go and made his way to Todoroki without a look back, and Seiko was grateful for that. She wasn't sure how much longer she could hold on. The firm hand on her shoulder brought her back to her senses, Tokoyami offering her a smile of appreciation; the boy was completely oblivious. They all were.

She smiled back.

Seiko would like to keep it that way.

*

"Nakano."

Aizawa's voice cut through the assembled Class 1-A, everyone gathering their things and leaving the classroom for the extended time off. She raised an eye brow until the teacher gestured for her to come forward. Alarms were already blaring in Seiko's head, and she was quick to sneakily wipe the nervous sweat off her palms. Keep calm. Don't overthink. Seiko could swear she was nothing more than a passionate, hero-idolizing, obsessive Class 1-A student that whole festival; this couldn't be anything more.

Her classmates looked between in interest, many quick to avoid Aizawa's eternal glare and making their way out of the classroom. Shoji, though, trailed back, bag slung onto his back while meeting Seiko's gaze. At her firm nod, he turned back around, finally leaving the classroom in an empty state.

"Yes, Sensei?"

There was a pregnant pause, Aizawa's empty gaze still settled on Seiko's face; completely unreadable. "How did you feel about the Festival?"

The girl absentmindedly ran her hand along her wrapped forearm, careful not to express any sort of wariness. "It was such an amazing experience! Everyone is super strong, I had no idea since I never saw the entrance exams."