(37) the scent trail

*again...spoilers for any anime-only fans! it's ya boi again;)

"I really have no idea why you've called me up here; ya' lot already know I don't have any dealings with your U.A. staff or kids—"

"You've delved in these investigations before, have you not?" Nezu grinned, nose twitching in amusement at the Pro-Hero before himself.

"—but I only know one of 'em. Either way, if this is about that little Villain investigation squad you're forming alongside the police force I ensure you I don't know much of the investigation—"

Nezu nodded carefully. "But surely you wouldn't mind lending an extra hand in our offer for you."

"—and I already told the chief I was in and all, but I can't imagine what else you guys have scrounged up. Other than the fact that there's likely a traitor or two roaming around our forces doesn't mean that I'd be much help..." he paused.

Nezu had his hands folded across his desk, not at all perturbed when Hawks flinched in realization. Raising a hand to his collar, he drew it in front of his lips in suspicion, eyes alit with a still interested glow.

Hawks knew that the police forces as well as those higher ups in U.A. were aware of his strangely quick ways of getting information on the newest investigations. He already agreed to the little double agent plan to sneak into the League of Villains, but to have U.A.'s principal call him up was strange.

"We have an inkling that the traitor is amongst our students."

That was blunt. Hawks blinked, only to furrow his eyebrows thoughtfully. A student, though? If it were any other school, I'd laugh, but there are choice students here that have the skills and secrecy...

"And you, of course, are capable of getting into the nooks and crannies of our students' backgrounds."

Hawks tapped his foot impatiently. "But why me?"

"You're quick!"

The hero deadpanned, knowing there was an ulterior motive. Instead nodding along, he looked over his fingernails absentmindedly. "Well, who'd I go to first to get some information from?"

Nezu shot him a knowing smile. Hawks had to hand it to the mouse, he was smart. Scary smart.

"Oh, I'm sure you know her well."

*

Seiko hadn't left the hospital until a few days after Bakugo.

Cramped up in those white walls did her no good, and when the police came in, shamelessly interrogating her on what she witnessed at the League's base, Seiko simply played along. Like she always did. Because she had to.

It felt useless, honestly. Her beloved Master was confined in a glorified hell-hole, imprisoned beyond her control. Her phone was demolished during the ruckus, leaving her separated from any sort of contact with her League companions. Her mind itself was left unstable and simply hurt.

By the time she was able to get her hands on a new phone, Seiko found herself cooped up in her little apartment; she was alone. Mindlessly swiping through the articles—titles not straying far from the major topic of All Might's recent retirement—Seiko couldn't stop the resentment that settled in her emotions. She refused to acknowledged the new era, this new age of heroes and villains. She didn't want to shoulder the responsibility, even though Master had thrust it upon Tomu-kun and herself.

But Seiko had to.

Her mind was fuzzy, but one thing was certain: doubt gnawed away at her heart.