(51) goals

Seiko couldn't help but be embarrassed when she realized somewhere along the line she had collapsed mid-flight. She was lucky enough a passing hero was there to catch her before she sustained any other serious injuries. Cursing herself as she swung her legs over the beds, Seiko swore she would need to get those multiple quirk drawbacks under control.

She felt like she would hurl any moment, barely managing to get onto her legs. Groggy and disoriented, she hobbled through the hallways after nurse frantically called for the girl.

Never mind the strangely overwhelming exhaustion that overcame Seiko, apparently a dire situation was at hand.

"Sir!! Night-eye!!"

She flinched at the sobs. Mirio barreled past her into the hospital room, in hysterics as the girl blinked in confusion. Drowning his frantic cries out, Seiko barely managed to process her surroundings. Beeping and sniffles filled the hospital room. Disregarding everyone in the room, she froze.

Night-Eye lay in a bundled mess of wires and tubes, the hospital technology around him clear warning signs that his condition was all but reassuring. In fact—as Mirio desperately clung to his teacher's hand—it seemed he was dying.

"Please, you have to keep teaching me!! You can't die!!" Mirio was outright shouting, as if his screams would latch on to the quickly fading spirit of the Pro Hero.

Deku, from his surprise position beside Seiko, padded forward, similar tears dripping from his eyes. "...Senpai!"

Night-eye's gaze flashed once again, clearly looking into Mirio's future once more. "...Mirio, it'll be alright. You are becoming an outstanding hero..."

The exchange between Mirio and Night-eye struck an unfamiliar chord within the girl. She swore that was a careless use of his quirk.

Why would he do that?

There was no reason to, especially since he was already at death's doorstep.

He held a fleeting glance at Seiko, and she stiffened. Night-eye simply smiled. "This is...the only future...that we shouldn't change."

Her vision blurred.

"So please, keep smiling..."

Mirio reached back frantically, meeting Midoriya's grasp as the two boys only grew in sobs. In fact, it appeared that everyone in the room was in a state of grief.

Seiko didn't share the outward expression of pain, because she was dumbfounded. Her confusion at the situation was only defined when she met Night-Eye's eyes; the short thought he offered her, knowing she would use her scan quirk in his final moments.

Remember this.

Then it hit her. This whole event mirrored the ceremonies Master had whenever he endowed a new quirk to her...only, for the first time Seiko noticed an emotion in Night-Eye's eyes that she had never seen in Master's.

fondness.

The trust and faith Night-eye offered his students was worlds away from what Seiko confronted throughout her short lifetime. It wasn't like the grip she had with the U.A. staff. No. This was unadulterated, sheer compassion to the children of the future.

And Seiko couldn't lie that she wanted that for herself, too.

It was honest, and it was pure.

How strange.

Aizawa glanced over at the only female student in the room, gaze passive as he attempted to quell his own guilt and grief. He knew that Seiko had worked with the Hero on a number of occasions, and he could only hope it wouldn't destroy her as much as the other internship students.