Chapter 47

"May the defendants please rise." CiCi and Taehyung stand to their feet, they held each other's hand and kept a blank face as they stared passed the judge, "In the case of the people versus Kim and Sullivan, how do the defendants plead?"

"Not guilty, your honor." CiCi and Taehyung day in unison as the grip on their hands tighten. The judge shifts his glasses further up his nose as he orders everyone to sit down.

"Mr. Chyeong, your first witness please."

The lawyer against CiCi and Tae stood up and adjusted his tie, "The people call Sullivan Carl to the stand."

CiCi's shoulders tense and she lowers her gaze as her father stands from the front row behind her and makes his way to the interrogation chair. Taehyung rubs small circles on the back of her hand with his thumb.

"Mr. Sullivan, let's start with getting to know your background a bit more. You are a police officer, correct?"

CiCi's father sits tall and he looks at Mr. Chyeong in the eyes, "Yes, I've been in the police force for five years."

"But you're not native here." Mr. Chyeong says as more than a statement than a question. Mr. Sullivan chuckles before he gestures to his dark skin.

"Isn't it obvious?" Mr. Sullivan gives a wolffish grin, the same grin CiCi inherited and used when she would scare the kidnappers until they pissed themselves, "We were Americans, we moved here when CiCi turned 8 years old."

"If you don't mind, Mr. Sullivan, I'd like to start getting to my point." Mr. Chyeong presses his fingertips together, "Where you aware that Miss Ciline Sullivan was taking the information off of your desk and solving these kidnapping cases with Mr. Kim?"

"I had no idea," CiCi's father says as straightforward as possible, "I'm honestly upset that she did such a thing to begin with, it's dangerous out there for a teenager!"

"Mmh, you care for your daughter very much, don't you?"

"What kind of a question is that? Of course I love my daughter."

"Then why would you leave compromised police affairs out lying in the open for a curious teenager to stumble upon?" CiCi clenches her teeth and sinks her nails into her palm, she wanted to stop the man accusing her father for being irresponsible, it's not his fault that CiCi looked at the cases, the evidence, the faces of the victims.

"I suppose," Mr. Sullivan looks over at CiCi with disappointment in his onyx eyes, "I expected too much from her." CiCi felt her heart crack and she bit the inside of her cheek. She met her father's gaze and mentally apologized for being such a disappointment.

"However, I do believe that my daughter's intentions were in the right place, she and Mr. Kim were able to solve cases that had almost gone cold. They were able to save the lives of every kidnapped victim that CiCi laid her eyes on."

"So you condone the act of thievery?" Mr. Chyeong asks as he raises his brows in surprise, "You're ok with the fact that your daughter, your 17 year old daughter has shot and killed people?"

"I condone my daughter being a hero to the civilians of this city, I condone my daughter taking action and saving lives. I condone my daughter doing what others can't do, my daughter has a talent for solving crime like it's a ten piece puzzle. We shouldn't be trying to lock her potential away! We should be tapping into it more using her skills more! Hers and Mr. Kim's!" Mr. Sullivan's voice was commanding, it was intimidating, it was strong. His words matched the beliefs in his heart. He stares at the jury and he smiles proudly.

"My daughter is smart enough to be a high ranked detective, and a damn good one at that."

Mr. Chyeong showed a hint of frustration before he took his seat. CiCi's and Tae's lawyer, Mr. Byun, approached Mr. Sullivan.