Chapter 33: Handong's Case

"H-how did she... No, I can't believe this. Handong would not do that- She's not like that." Jooheon still couldn't believe his eyes upon reading the file on Handong's biodata. Closing the file, his eyes looked up at Madam Yoona's seeking for explanation.

"She's didn't do it on purpose. Someone risked their life trying to protect her," Madam Yoona admitted.

"What do you mean?"

"When did you first meet Handong? Was it five years ago when she enrolled in your school?"

"Yes. We'd been fast friends not long after. Then a month later, I got news from my teacher that she moved to Korea. I tried to contact her but there was no respond. But I'm really glad that I found her now."

"You weren't mad at her when she left?" Madam Yoona tried to clarify.

"No, I wasn't, just a little sad that she just up and left without a note goodbye. I'm just happy that she's back in my life. But, what's the connection between our friendship and her case?"

"Actually, there is and I think she didn't tell you all the truth about her past."

"Her past?"

Bracing herself to tell the story, she pushed forward. "Did you know Handong was an orphan?"

"Yeah, I know. She told me that her dad passed away since she was a kid and she's been living with her mother." Madam Yoona exhaled heavily, as she was reluctant to tell the truth to Jooheon.

"Actually, her mother also died the same year her father died."

"What?!" Jooheon cried.

"Her 'mother' that you were talking about was not her biological mother. The woman was the one who took Handong away when she tried to escape from the orphanage."

"She was in an orphanage?"

-----------------------

"You owe your life to someone? Who?" asked Xiumin.

"She..." As Handong started to begin, the fishing rod suddenly pulled and bent as a fish took the bait. Xiumin quickly grabbed the rod and tried to pull back but the fish fought back. Xiumin had to use more strength so that he could lift the fish out of the water and trying not to lose grip of the fishing rod.

"Man, this one must be huge!" he struggled with the fishing rod. Handong who was watching in amusement, suddenly got an idea. She stood up and took her leather jacket off, along with her jeans and shoes. Leaving her body clad in only her white shirt and undergarments. With a deep intake of breath, she jumped into the lake as Xiumin was startled looking where she fell in.

"Handong!" he shouted. Just a few seconds later, Handong showed up from the lake but she was struggling with something. Xiumin looked closely and saw that Handong was fighting with the fish that caught on his bait.

He grabbed a fishing net and threw it to Handong. She managed to manoeuvre herself and the fish without it breaking free and managed to slip the fish in the net. She swam back to the surface and gave the fish to him. Xiumin held his hand out to Handong as he helped her climb back up to the port. She lied down, catching her breath after the big fight with the fish. It didn't want to be on the dinner table.

"You're one of the most craziest people I've ever met," Handong laughed, too exhausted to reply.

"You've never met a girl who jumps into a lake to get a fish?" asked Handong.

"Not even once," he shook his head smirking. His grin faded as he noticed Handong's state of undress, even more so when he noticed her wet shirt leaving it completely see-through.