The Scent

I feel a presence. A dangerous presence. I can't open my eyes, but in the blackness of my vision a dim light cuts through. The light is comforting, but the looming danger is far closer.

My breath quickens as I feel hot breath down my neck. "We can smell you, _________. We will find you. And you will cooperate this time. I will have you." My blood turns to ice as the too-familiar American accent fills my ears in the deafening silence.

"No..." I whisper, shrinking away. He chuckles, digging his fingers painfully into my upper arms, "every time you dream of me, your scent becomes stronger. We've got our hunters on the search. I promise you, I will rip you away from your precious boys. I will take your precious George too. I will kill him in front of you. That is, unless you cooperate. I want to see the look on his face as I do things to you he could never achieve. And...don't you want to see your parents again?"

I cut off his monologue, voice choked up, "my parents are dead! They died when I was 10! 11 years they've been gone, you can't fool me, you bastard! You're lying! I know they'll protect me!"

He slams me to the ground, and places his foot on my chest, "I love when you get fired up, angel. Keep it coming, we'll find you in no time this way. I'm telling the truth, ________. We've got your parents. Since they hid you so well, we found yo-"

*************************************

His voice fades out as I'm woken abruptly by cold water being thrown over me. "No!" I scream opening my eyes and shooting to a sitting position. My vision goes black again from moving too quickly. I moan in pain and lay back.

"________, can you hear me?"

"George..!" I sob blindly reaching my arms out. Seconds later I feel his strong arms cradle me to his chest. He whispers comfortingly in my ear, "shhhh, love...I'm here it's okay, I've got you..."

I flutter my eyes open, looking up into his deep dark ones. "George..." I whisper, hiding my face in the crook of his neck.

I feel a gentle touch on my back and turn to face the source, Paul. "What happened, ________? You were crying and screaming about someone dying? What's going on love?"

My heart beats hard as I picture the green eyed man. I breathe heavily trying to speak, but anxiety grips my vocal chords with crushing strength.

George leans his head down, kissing the tears that had started flowing, away. They patiently wait for me to calm myself, eventually my breathing, while still relatively heavy, is more normal.

Ritchie speaks softly, "what did you see, darling? Was it him?" I nod, "it was him...he..he said he was going to find me...take me away again..he said he was going to hurt George.." I clutch onto George's shirt tightly, until my knuckles turn white.

George gently pulls my hands from his shirt, "I'm not going to let some American git take you, and he most certainly won't hurt me." He kisses my lips tenderly, tilting his head to get better vantage.

George sits back and I lick my lips, "he...said he had my parents..George...my parents have been dead for the last 11 years...my only family has been my Aunt Terese...and she moved to America a few months ago..."

My eyes suddenly widen in realization, "I haven't heard from her in a few weeks...we need to go back to my house now and-" George places a finger gently on my parted lips, "shhhh, one thing at a time love. Let's clean you up, and we'll go to your house, okay?"

I nod, letting Paul help me up. I look to the door to see John leaning against the frame, watching me, an unreadable expression on his face.

"I'll help her." He says suddenly, gently taking my arm and leading me to the bathroom. I look back to see the others stand, but George's room soon disappears from my vision.