It's All Too Much

The world seems to spin and stand still all at once. I haven't seen my parents in so long, but this is just as I remembered them in dreams of long ago.

I feel emotion prick my eyes and heart. Their holds slowly loosen, then they step back and take my sight in.

Their eyes reflect mine. Tear filled, but shining with love and saudade.

"My little girl....all grown and wise beyond her youthful appearance..." my mother speaks softly, a hint of sadness in her voice. I know she is deeply mournful she couldn't see me grow to who I am today.

My father, never the one to show too much emotion to appear as the strong leader he is, allows a tear to streak down his face.

I know they can see how tired and worn down I am and it breaks my heart this is how they first encounter me after all these years.

Their eyes move to George, who is standing a respectful distance away. Eyes cast to me to make sure I don't suddenly collapse under the pressure of my rapidly increasing blood.

"George..." my father says, capturing his attention.

George quickly averts his eyes to my father's. "Yes, sir?"

"Thank you for keeping her safe, son." He says as he wraps George's wiry frame in a tight hug.

"I'd do anything for her.." George says when my father finally releases him. "I'd go through hell and back again to make sure she's safe."

"Oh, Georgie...I knew you were perfect for my baby the moment she met you all those years ago..." my mother croons as she clasps her hands to her chest, regarding George with thankful eyes.

George cheeks flush at the attention and he looks down, mumbling a soft, "I just love her so much..."

"Mom, dad...I am so, so beyond happy to see you both again after so long...but I just have this feeling that there's something wrong with John...where is he? I need to see him."

"The poor lad is upstairs with Terese. He and that torturous devil were in terrible condition when John finally let us out of that god forsaken cage."

"We'll catch up, I'm sorry to run off so quickly, but I really-"

"Say no more, love. Go check on your friend. We'll stay and have another cuppa." My mother says with a shooing motion.

I feel the beginnings of nausea begin to rise in my throat. I give them a small smile and rush off to my auntie's room.

She's outside of it, seemingly waiting for my arrival. "Ahh, my sweet girl. Just in time, we'll catch up, go to him now."

"Auntie..."

She smiles warmly, cupping my cheek. "I'll be down with your mum and dad. Come to us when you're ready." With that she leaves us.

When we step in I let out a startled gasp. John is laid on the bed, tattered and covered in blood. Whether it's his or someone else's is unclear, but I do know that he is very badly hurt.

George gently nudges me into the room and I fall to the side of the bed on my knees. I gently touch his cheek, "...John?"