Keeping Faith

George heads to the kitchen to make tea while John and I head back to the living room.

I take a seat in the middle of the couch, John sitting close, nearly on top of me.

"I missed you...." he says, arms pulling me against him.

"It's barely been a day, John..." I say with a small smile.

He doesn't smile back, his face the epitome of serious. "I know, but in that day anything could have happened...."

I sigh, shaking the intruding flashbacks from my mind.

Just then George walks in with the tea.

"Thanks, Geo..." I say, taking a cup from the tray gratefully, blowing the steaming liquid before taking a small sip.

John grabs one as well, George following suit as he sits on my other side.

The three of us remain silent until I can't take it anymore.

"...okay, boys. What are we doing here? I'm sick of playing the damsel, I want, no, need to show that mangy, slobbering American dog what I can do. I want to wrap my hands around his throat until he's begging for mercy, and just as he's about to go under-"

George cuts me off with a gentle palm on my thigh, "We all want to, love. Trust me. If your safety wasn't at stake I'd have ended his miserable existence a long time ago. Especially now....this disgusting game he's forcing us into..."

I mirror George, my hand resting gently on his knee, "the winds are changing, Geo. I can feel it. We are that change. We are the hope for a new era."

John smiles at me, arm slinging around my shoulder, "if they'd just give peace a chance they'd all see..."

I nod solemnly, "I'd love to help anyone that needed it...I shouldn't be forced into slavery....or into having children before we want to..." I feel the rage flaring up.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts, "a plan....we need to come up with a plan....I don't want anyone else being hurt....and as much as I'd like Samuel's head as a lawn decoration....I can't kill him. Nothing in the rules about hurting him though....have you thought of anything?"

"I can go back to Mabel's and gather the others?" John says, taking another drink of his tea.

I nod, "yes, it's us against all of them....we'll need all the help we can get..."

"But what from there? Just wait the two days?" George asks, leaning to look at John.

"Well....its a long shot, and I know we're not entirely sure that either of them are on our side, but...we could have Mabel come as well-"

George cuts me off, "darling...I don't think that's a very good idea...we can't trust them..."

"I know, but....what if this is our only chance? John doesn't have to say he knows where we are...just has to bring Mabel along the morning before..I'm sure Ritchie or Paul are capable enough to watch her to make sure she doesn't tip anyone off on our plan...but I think we need to do this..."

John and George stay silent for a few moments before George speaks with a sigh, ".....what do you have in mind?"

I look down at the cup in my hand, a surge of guilt passing through me. "....I..don't want to sound horrible...and I won't force her if she doesn't want to...but...we should use her as....bait..."

I take a deep breath and continue my explanation before either boy could speak, "h-he won't hurt her, he loves her...but she could be some very heavy leverage for us. Especially if things aren't going.....well...."

I feel both pairs of eyes on me, a small inkling of shame pulsing through me, keeping my eyes trained on the slightly trembling cup in my grasp.

"I don't want her to get hurt! I just think that she may be our only chance...."

"....that is a good idea, darling...but do you think she'll be up for that?" George says taking the cup from my hands, placing it gently on the table in front of us.

"I'm sure she will be....we have no idea where Emma is, or what he's poisoning her with....Mabel will help because her daughter could be in danger." John says, squeezing me tightly. "She's been worried sick ever since you all left....do you know where she is?"

I shake my head, George voicing, "no. We haven't seen her at all. She told Samuel all about our ability to produce another Psyche, then she knocked me out and we woke up here....so I'm not even entirely sure whose side she's even on...."

"It's got to be ours...." I whisper, massaging my temples gingerly.

"I don't care how many times I have to say it, we lost you once, and we will not lose you again..." John says, setting his cup down as well, pulling me into his lap.

I let out a small sigh, resting my head against John's shoulder. "I can't leave again....not when I've finally found meaning...."

John tilts my head up, kissing the freshly fallen tears from my cheeks, "we won't let him have you...."

John silently holds me for a few minutes, peppering kisses over every exposed inch of skin his lips can find.

All too soon he gently slides me back onto the cushion, pressing his lips to mine, letting them linger before standing back up, "...I'm going to go back now, let Paul and Ringo know the plan, I'll be back tomorrow...." with that he bids us goodbye, and heads back to the basement.

George sets his cup on the table, reaching out for my hand.

I smile as he intertwines our fingers, bringing my hand to his lips.

"You're strong now, love. Stronger than ever before..." he breathes against my
knuckles.

"I hope so...." I whisper, taking a deep breath.

"We've just gotta keep the faith..." he says reassuringly.

George and I stand together, the sun starting to fade away.

I place the cups back onto the tray, picking it up to bring to the kitchen.

George follows me there like a lost puppy, hovering behind me closely as I wash the cups.

Suddenly the front door bursts open, making me squeeze the final cup into shattered pieces in surprise.

I cry out as the shards pierce into my hand, blood dripping into the sink in angry drops.

I look to George, fear written across my face. We both look over our shoulders to see Emma standing in the doorway.