The Surprise

I remain on my knees for quite a while, my mind pleasantly blank. I hear soft footsteps walking away, knowing I've been left to my own devices, though I feel a presence hovering near me.

I open my eyes and turn my head, surprised to see Paul standing there, offering his hand. I take it and pull myself up.

"Where'd the others go?" I ask, glancing around the now dark woods. Paul blatantly ignores my question, pulling me along with him somewhere.

After a several minutes of tramping through the dark, we find ourselves at the river, a small blanket spread by the bank.

He motions to the blanket and I sit, staring into the water at the reflected stars from above.

"Are you going to answer me now, mister?" I ask, staring up at him, my eyebrow quirked. I see a grin on his face as he looks away. "Paul!"

I hear a faint chuckle, and I stick my lips out in a pout. Paul full on laughs now, "sorry, love. I don't know what you mean."

I stand, hands on my hips, head tilted sassily, "Paul." He cackles sprinting away from me, "just follow the signs!" I watch in shock as he disappears from my view.

My mouth is gaping open, absolutely baffled by his behavior. "What in God's name is going on..." I mutter going in the direction Paul ran off in.

I notice a sheet of paper attached to the trunk of a tree, a simple arrow pointing further down the dark path.

My confusion grows more as I do what the note says. "What are you boys up to.." a minute down the path is another note, this one reading 'this path will enlighten you'.

Off I'm the distance I notice a dim, glowing light. As I approach, I notice it's a little tea light candle in a small jar. I smile to myself, and pick it up to guide me down the path.

My journey continues, until I see another note on a tree. This one says, 'look up'. I do so, seeing another note much further up that says 'got ya!' I laugh out loud and roll my eyes, mentally blaming John for that one.

Soon I notice many little lights in the distance, soft glowing embers that seem to float in the night air. The flames draw me to them, calling out to me with the promise of love, and eternal happiness.

The closer I get to my guiding lights, the more bright they seem. Soon I'm exiting the confining space of the wooded path, into a familiar wide open meadow, beautiful wildflowers swaying in the almost non existent breeze. The little trail of lights guide my eyes to a sitting silhouette, an unidentifiable object perched on its lap.

I delicately step between the jars of candles, focusing solely on the sitting figure. As I drew near, I recognized the silhouette as George, balancing an acoustic guitar on his crossed legs. I smile widely at his perfectly relaxed state.

The soft swishing of grass beneath my feet draws George's eyes to me. I watch as his dark eyes trail up my body, finally locking them with mine. His soft gaze makes my body tingle, and he reaches a hand out wordlessly to me, beckoning me to him.

I take his hand, sitting as close to him as possible. He places a gentle kiss to my lips, and strums his guitar softly, humming along with his chords until inspiration strikes him. His low voice dances around the meadow with the flowers as he sings, "listen, do you want to know a secret? Do you promise not to tell? Woah oh, closer. Let me whisper in your ear, say the words you long to hear," he stops his gentle strums and cups my cheek, brushing his lips against my ear, "I'm in love with you."

I sigh happily, my fingers walking along his leg, toying with the creases in his pants. He sets the guitar aside, standing up, towering over me. He helps me stand, wrapping me in his arms and swaying to the sound of the leaves rustling in the background.

I close my eyes and kiss George on his plump lips, whispering against them, "I love you, George..never leave me.." He slowly halts our sway, kissing me deeply, "I would never..." He whispers.

His warm embrace leaves me, I whine, opening my eyes. George is standing a few inches away, hands in his pockets.

"George?" I ask quietly, my hands reaching toward him.

He grips my hands, pulling them to his chest, "______, I love you more than I could ever say. You are my soulmate, every time I look into your eyes, I see a future. A future I cannot live without. Within you, I see the greatest peace I've ever known. A love that burns brighter than any flame I've ever seen..I want to share an eternity with you, as one." He drops to one knee, holding my left hand gently, "_____, my light, my love, will you marry me?"

Warm tears flow down my cheek, as my right hand covers my trembling lips, "yes, yes, yes, oh George..." he slips a beautifully intricate ring on my finger.

Suddenly cheers and whoops erupt from the trees around us

Suddenly cheers and whoops erupt from the trees around us. The other lads emerge from the woods, holding glasses and a bottle of champagne.

George stands, then dips me, pressing kisses along my exposed throat. "I love you, darling. I cannot wait to see you in white."

My smile is unwavering as George stands me up straight. "George...you're so sweet...I don't deserve you..." he presses his finger to my lips, "nonsense. I don't deserve you...your light is so pure, I just want to bask in it for eternity.."

I giggle, "oh, George..I cannot wait to be Mrs. Harrison..."

"Oye! You're making me nauseous over here. Come have a glass to celebrate!" John says, laughing lightly.

Ritchie hands George and I a glass, raising his own, "a toast to the betrothed!"

"Here here!" John says, raising his.

"To the future Mr. and Mrs. Harrison!" Paul's exclaims, and we clink our glasses together, the delicate sound ringing out with promises to come.