The Wards

As Mabel approaches slowly, my heart rate speeds up. I scoot and rest my back on the wall, George grabbing my hand and squeezing it comfortingly.

Mabel sits on the bed by my feet, placing her hands in her lap, "I suppose I've got some explaining to do..."

George nods, "you do. Indeed." His voice is low and dangerous, his body angled in front of me.

She takes a deep breath, and starts her story. "Well you see...I was blinded by my love for a very, very bad man. Samuel promised me the earth...and I believed him. And oh, did he give it to me. Luxuries I could never dream of otherwise...but there was one thing he couldn't give to me..." she glances back at Emma, and continues. "I wanted a child so badly...but as most vampires are, he was sterile. The one thing I so badly wanted, he couldn't give to me...one day he came home with news he heard whispered amongst the community. The biggest, most respected family had a psyche. Such a rare, life saving gift...it took him 21 years to track her down...he took her and...." she trails off, looking at the floor for a few long moments..."I wanted a child so badly that...at that point I didn't care what measures we took...I tried to be as nice as I could...helping you when I got the chance....I know it's far too late..and I understand that you'll never forgive me...but I'm so sorry, _____...I realized much too late how horrible we were...we robbed you of your entire life, all because I wanted to bring one into the world..."

It feels as if the air has been sucked from the room. I can feel the anger, and hurt radiating off of George. Rolling in violent waves from his aura.

I place my hand on his shoulder, telling him wordlessly that it's okay.

Mabel's gaze flicks between George and I, and she continues on, "I know what I did was horrible...I had what I wanted, yet I still couldn't let you go...after you...were gone..I felt so guilty, not even a few hours went by before the lads finally came down upon our little..operation. They were mere hours late...I felt even worse when George spared my life.... I knew I was the reason for his pain...I dedicated my life to researching how to speed up the psyche rebirthing process. And when I finally found the way to summon your spirit back to our realm, I went to your parents...they were thrilled..and I was so very pleased when I found out they were pregnant...and the moment you were brought back into the world, he knew...it only took him 11 years to find your parents...but they were smart. They left you with your aunt when he got too close...and, well, you know the rest..."

She tentatively places her hand on my knee. I don't flinch, I place my hand over hers, a few tears fallen down my cheeks.

She looks me in the eyes, and I see nothing but guilt. "We've hid here our entire lives...he cannot find us with all the protection we've placed....I can see in your eyes, he's reached out to you...he's on your trail..."

George nods, "that's why we came. We need some things to create wards so they cannot get to her.."

Mabel stands, and George does as well. Mabel extends her hand to me, I take it and allow her to help me up.

George holds me by the waist protectively, as we follow Emma and Mabel back into the shop portion of their home.

"I'm sure you already know what you need, just tell me and I'll grab it." Emma says, smiling at us.

George names off the items we need, and Emma fetches them promptly.

Mabel places them into bags, then turns to me, pulling me into a tender hug, "_______, I'm so sorry...again...I know it probably means nothing....I'm sorry....you need to stop him..please"

I nod against her shoulder, "I plan on it...I will lead our people to a peaceful future..." she nods back, squeezing me one last time before releasing me.