Chapter Twenty| Somewhere you're not

"You threw my heart into the flamesI took our pictures out the framesI tried to throw 'em out But I still keep 'em just in case" -AJ Mitchell

I took our pictures out the frames
I tried to throw 'em out
But I still keep 'em just in case"
-AJ Mitchell

Status: unedited

As of today, it is officially one month until Caleb turns eighteen which also means it's a month until my aunty moves out.

I think that could be half of the reason he's been so down and depressed lately.

Obviously, Meredith leaving him is a huge factor, but I know Caleb, I don't read minds, but I do know for sure if he had a choice, if he could have his way, Emma would stay living with us until Caleb and I both go off to college and he'd come back every now and then to check on the house.

Scratch that, if Caleb could have his own way, mom and dad would still be here with us.

One thing I beat myself up about every day is how much I didn't truly appreciate having parents and I think it's a common thought to anyone who loses their parent's or someone they care about in general.

It's really hard and sudden.

It's one of those things you think about forever, losing your mom and dad, what will happen when they die, what will I do when they die, how will I function when they die.

I remember when I was seven years old, had just come home from school and mom and dad were in the kitchen, apparently they were making us lunch though the were so madly in love I always noticed dad couldn't keep his hands of her, I knew they were in that kitchen flirting and kissing, probably wishing they hadn't had two children waiting for them in the lounge.

Caleb and I were watching Ben 10, I had always despised the show, I thought it was stupid and unrealistic, Caleb always insisted it was real.

It was random, we had been sitting there, me asking him weird questions and trying to make conversation rather than watching the show.

"Will mom and dad be with us forever?" I remember asking Caleb, I remember the expression on his face, he looked horrified, as though he didn't want to think about it.

"No, Grace." He sighed, rolling his eyes as though I was the stupidest person in the world, "They will die eventually, everyone does."

I recall my heart dropping in my chest. I was that typical age where I thought everything was forever and there was no bad in the world, though Caleb was barely older then me, he was smarter, he was more mature.

Oh, how times have changed.

I remember the way my lip quivered at his words and my eyes watered, "B-but then I'll have no momma and dad,"

Caleb finally pressed pause, getting irritated he was missing his favourite show due to his sisters annoying questions.

"You'll have me, I'll look after you. Momma always said I have to protect my baby sister," he replied, one side of his lips lifting up into a lop-sided smile.