all be over soon

The smell of coal fills your nostrils as you cling onto his hand. Thomas is leaving today for the war, and you can't help but get teary eyes for the second time this morning. The train is massive, and it's the first time you've laid your eyes on such a beautiful thing. The platform is filled with family and friends as they say their goodbyes to loved ones.

It's just you who's here for Thomas, as he requested. Polly and John, he didn't want. Arthur was already somewhere in France.

He stops where there is space and turns to you. Thomas cut his hair, leaving it into a buzz cut you couldn't stop staring at last night. He looks unusual with his hair cut like that.

"I'll be back before you know it," He inhales, sounding like a concerned father.

You nod though, knowing he's just trying to calm you down. But all you can think about is him coming back to you in a wooden box, lifeless.

"And all will be alright." He puts his hands on your arms. "Come here."

You quickly embrace him, shutting your eyes as your ear touches his chest. He's nervous as well, his heart beating rapidly. You cling onto the back of his shirt, trying to sink in the moment. This could be the last time you see him.

"Take care of me horse." He adds. Pulling back. "Alright?"

You shake your head, letting out a chuckle. "It's not me she likes..."

He runs a finger over your bottom lip, "Ay?" Thomas grins. "She loves ya, y/n."

You snort. "I'll feed her and clean her, but I'll have to get John to deal with her shit."

"Fair enough." He replies.

The train whistle blows before you two can say anything else. You throat closes and you look into his eyes. "I can't believe you're leaving me."

"It'll be all over soon," He kisses the top of your head and bends down to pick up his small suitcase. "I love you."

"I love you." You tell him back, feeling the words swim out of your mouth. Before he leaves you kiss him one last time. It's passionate and long, one that causes a whistle or two from passerby's.

He presses his forehead to yours and exhales. "Jesus."

You squeeze your eyes shut and try to control the rush of emotions. "Tell me again that this'll all be over soon, Tommy."

He clears his throat. "This will all be over soon. I promise. And then I'll be back in Small Heath, pissing you off every morning about not having cleaned the dishes, or some shit like that."

You burst into giggles, remembering that being a common argument between you two. "Alright." You nod, knowing that that is the truth. "This will all be over soon." You assure yourself one last time before pullin back to meet his face.

He sends you a smile that shows that he's scared, but you press your hand to his cheek and see that emotion disintegrate. He needs you now. You lick your lips and clear your throat.

"This will all be over soon, Tommy."