the best man

Thomas Shelby, the best man at Arthur's wedding. Its a fucking gimmick is what it is. And as you stand there beside Thomas, you can't help but lean over and get the little piece of lint off of his blazer. The nerves his been feeling all along have somehow found its way into your bloodstream.

"This is going to go fine," You tell yourself as you pick at the lint on his shoulder. "you've got your speech. Right?"

He clears his throat, looking down at you with a frown on his face. "I've got my speech, yep."

"And you have the rings."

"Got the rings." His tongue rolls, he sounds groggy.

"It's going to go fine, Tommy." You assure him, feeling every ounce of what he feels you're sure.

"I reckon this is going to go to shit." He scoffs, smiling down at you. His hand moves onto your hip. Its a brief display of PDA, and something you two don't usually do.

He removes his hand after the thought lingers in your mind, and you take a step back.

You flush, feeling Thomas Shelby look at you like that. You can remember the days when you couldn't get a word out of him other than the usual hello in the morning.

"Are you going to have cake?" Thomas asks out of the blue.

I raise an eyebrow at him, cake sounds delicious. "Most likely. Are you?"

He nods, looking around as he brings his hand up to scratch his jaw. "I like cake."

"Huh." You put your hands on your hips and look up at him, "I never took you as the type."

"Well, to be fair, y/n, I never took you for the type to fall in love with a no good gangster," He pouts, "But look at the world, ay?"

You laugh, shaking your head. "Who said I'm in love with yous?" You ask teasingly.

The truth was thats all you were. In a mad, sickening, painfully passionate and beautiful love.

He shifts, moving his hands behind his back, "I believe you did last night..."

You grin, unable to hide that you're flushed. Guests pool into the church, and as they do, you grow more and more intimidated. Public outings are foreign between you two.

"And the night before that..." He adds, his voice silky and perfect.

You roll your eyes back, unable to control the emotions and how heightened they are. "Look, I might be having sex with you every now and then-"

"Now and then!" He laughs, "Jesus, woman, if thats what you call now and-"

The music starts from out of nowhere, and in walks Arthur, looking an absolute wreck. Polly follows, speaking to him a low voice. And then everyone else, who you don't really know yet trolls in from behind.

"I'm going to go sit down now," You start, hurrying towards the side of the alter.

Thomas grabs your arm and pulls you into him, he presses a kiss not to your lips but to the top of your head. It's enough to have you swooning, and enough to have the guests at the ceremony watching you two.

He lowers his head to your ear, "Promise me you'll save me some cake."

You laugh, feeling his breath against your ear. "I promise." You flush.

"Good girl,"

He frees you and lets you go to place you have been delegated to sit. There you have a perfect viewing of Thomas Shelby's awkward smile as watches Arthur get married.