The Wife (1)

ONE | WELCOME BACK

I stared nervously at the doctors bald head. My eyes were wide and I felt nothing but a sense of discomfort as he pulled away from my parted legs. The doctor tore off his gloves and tossed them in the bin beside him, I looked down at the slightly bloodied gloves and got even more nervous. My entire body clammed up. I wanted to die.

Beside me sat a familiar face, that of Thomas Shelby. My husband.

Immediately, I felt at eased as he looked at me. His blue eyes could heal the world from its maddeness. It was engraved in my soul, feeling safe around Thomas was kind of a given. When he noticed me staring, he leaned in and brought his lips to my ear, my eyes fluttered shut and I listened for him to speak.

"I'm going to fucking kill you if you're pregnant." Thomas states in a low growl.

I hold my breath but turn to meet his eyes. My mouth flies open.

"Well lucky for you, Joanna, you aren't pregnant." Dr. Moore says and pulls off his glasses. He brings his attention to Thomas now, and frowns. "I don't like those kind of threats in my office, Mr. Shelby. Even if your wife is apparently committing adultery."

"Yeah, Thomas listen to the man." I take the doctor's hand, who helps me sit up. "Thank you doc." I smile.

"You're welcome." He replies before standing up. "Medically, I don't have to prescribe anything but might I suggest marriage counselling for the both of you."

Dr. Moore has been my doctor since I was a child, and Tommy hates that another man has known me for longer than he's known me. It's sick and twisted but I loved sick and twisted.

I pull down my dress and pull up my underwear, turning to Tommy I laugh. "He doesn't believe in marriage counselling."

Thomas shakes his head. "I also don't believe in divorce. Once you marry a Shelby–"

"You die being married to them, even though you hate each other." I add with a light hum. Turning to doc, I widen my eyes and mouth, HELP ME.

Dr. Moore shakes his head, "That doesn't sound healthy. What does your mum and dad think of this, Joanna?"

I laugh, but this time it's in fear. "They don't know about any of this. They thought we got a divorce when I went away to the Monaco."

Thomas gets out a cigarette. "Your parents are enablers."

He gets up and walks towards the window, cracking it open he looks outside. It's a gloomy day, and Tommy looks perfect along the London street. He looks divine, dressed in a long black coat and a professional suit on. I know he got all dolled up for me, for goodness sake, he even smelled golden. Thomas wore a brand new suit for me when he picked me up from the smelly ship dock. I know he wore a brand new suit because the tag was still on his blazer. I was flattered.

"You say that only because they hate you." I scoff, folding my arms over my chest.

"Alright! Out!" Dr. Moore claps his hand. "I will not stand around for this no longer. Mr. and Mrs. Shelby, have a good rest of your day."

"Alright old man." Thomas barks.

"Thomas!" I hiss, before turning back to my doctor. "I do apologize for my incredibly rude husband."

Dr. Moore only shakes his head, he escapes the room before Thomas lights his cigarette. Something that is not allowed in such establishments.

"So are you glad you're not pregnant?" He asks me, grabbing my purse from the examination table.

"Of course I am." I hiss. "God forbid I end up carrying a child that isn't yours."

My sarcasm makes a hint of joy creep up on Tommy's face. I almost congratulate myself. He strides over to the door, and yanks it open, open for me. "Go ahead, princess." He nods.

I roll my eyes, leaving the room. "Just say welcome back, you prick."

He fixes his coat and runs a hand over his face, "Welcome back you prick." He murmurs.

I walk in front of him, and knowing he can't see me, I break into a big smile. Ah, hopefully, it's good to be back.