Pin You Down

2 years ago

There is that sound in my ear that won't go away. A feeling in my body, I could not shake.

The scene of him falling to the floor and not getting up replays over and over again in my head. Like a wave, my head begins to pound and my stomach quenches. I feel so alone. I feel so empty.

As my fingers edge around the arm rest, and my eyes glaze over, I feel... nothing. I keep on thinking about the way he fell, landing right on his tailbone. The scream that belted out of his body, and the way he began to cry out in pain.

Before Bonnie's never showed any emotion other than happiness and determination. He's always been the type to push through even the slightest feeling of uncertainty, especially in the ring.
Let's just say, he was a really fucking amazing person. The type to put a smile on your face, even if the world is shit and he knows it.

I knew it was bad when he couldn't get up and every time Aberama tried to help him to his feet he would get louder and louder. It was like Aberama was ripping off Bonnie's limbs, or something. The whole fucking audience went silent. Bonnie was hurt, and everyone was scared. Bonnie was screaming that he can't feel his legs, I still remember standing behind the ring and shaking my head, begging Aberama to stop trying to pick up his son. Tears poured down my cheeks as I cried out for him.

That was nearly two hours ago, and as I sit across from my beloved, I begin to sob for the fifth time.

The first time I cried was because of the pain he was in. Second time I cried was because of how scared he was. Third, I cried when the ambience arrived and asked him if he felt any feelings in his toes. He said no. Then, I cried when they sedate him because he was having a panic attack. And now I'm crying because his career as a professional boxer will never get further than it has tonight.

He's hooked to machines, breathing softly as his chest expands and then collapses. He sleeps soundlessly but the machines wince and squeak. The doctors said the impact of the punch coming from his opponent caused Bonnie to fall in such an awkward position. He fell on his tailbone which caused severe paralysis to thunder its way into his spinal cord. The doctors explained that his entire central nervous's system broke down. Said he couldn't feel anything bellow the hips but that things could be much worse.

They didn't give me a lot of information because they were still running tests. Some of the doctors knew Bonnie and personally gave me their condolences. Within first ten minutes of us being in the emergency room, I gathered one thing: Bonnie was paralyzed but still alive.

The team of doctors left me alone to sit and process everything.

Hours ago he was in the ring with Victor Santos, a big shot fighter from America. Victor was a heavy weight, compared to Bonnie, a lightweight. But Bonnie had a great track record, he was at the peak of his career. And so was victor, it was a match that had men and women betting tons of money. This was dangerous, but it was Bonnie's big break, sure he was beginning to get more and more popular but beating Victor meant he was going to be a top contender.

He lays asleep and I wonder about how I'll break the news to him. The doctors said he was heavily medicated but that he should awake up soon. So as I sit there, all by myself, I try to piece things together. Like how he'll react, or if he'll be pissed off.

Whatever the case is, I'll have to be there for him. Be the devoted girlfriend of five years and let him cry on my shoulder. My heart aches for him but I need to be strong for Bonnie Gold. I need to.

The door creaks open and a light knock sounds. I notice the light in the hallway shine through and squeeze my eyes. I'm fast on my feet, anticipating the doctors but notice Aberama.