Eighteen

*These gifs are not apart of the story, they're just cute so I put them at the beginning☺️😁

LOUIS

The whole night, I'm only focusing on the fact that Niall must be so weirded out by me. Ever since then, he hasn't been acting too weird or anything, but he's probably just hiding it. He doesn't like me any more than a best friend, so he must be hiding it.

Finally, though, I fall asleep; just with the large distraction of my mind.

***

"Morning, sweetie." My mum smiles. "Do you want waffles?"

"No," I sigh, grabbing an orange, then grabbing my backpack and heading outside.

"Louis!" I turn around and see Lottie catching up with me. We stand on the sidewalk and I grow nervous as she reaches me. This' gotta be something serious, I know it. "What's up?"

"Nothin'." I lie, shrugging my shoulders. "I've gotta go to school, Lottie."

"Louis," she stops me, sighing. "You've been acting weird. You're all down and monotone."

"Maybe that's just how I am now." I groan, rubbing my eyes. "I have to go." I say more sternly.

"Please just find someone you can trust and talk to them." She smiles. "Just someone, Louis. Okay? You're not yourself." And with that, she turns around and walks back inside, leaving me outside alone with furrowed eyebrows as I think.

My family notices I'm acting weird and she wants me to talk to someone. My friends do too - all of them. Even I do, I just don't see how I can get better because I love Niall differently than he'll ever love me.

I almost call out Lottie's name so she'll come back and I can tell her that I'm really fucking sad that Niall doesn't like me back, but I don't. She told me to talk to someone, not her.

***

I take my lunchbox out of my locker and take a deep breath, cautiously walking over to the lunch table with my friends. Someone blocks my way and I furrow my eyebrows until I find it to be Lexi and her friends.

"Louis, you left early last night." She says sadly. "You didn't smoke."

"Uh, Niall dragged me out." I sigh, shrugging my shoulders.

"Your best friend, Niall?" Lexi asks. I nod my head and she scoffs. "Best friends wouldn't stop you from having fun."

"I mean, I dunno." I bite my lip. I want to defend Niall because he's my best friend, but I don't want Lexi and her friends to think I'm uncool.

"You should come outside with us and Michael's friends." She smiles. Her friends all nod so I smile and nod back. "Sweet!" She excites. Then she leans in and whispers, "Michael's got some cigarettes and weed, too."

My heart beats faster as I think about if I get caught even being around that; I'd be suspended from school, but I go along with it and pretend I'm not worried. Plus, another reason I'm nervous is because I don't even really want to smoke. Hopefully lunch will pass by soon, though and I'll leave school today and be able to say I haven't smoked anything.

We sit on the grass, under the bleachers and a bunch of the guys and girls roll blunts. I gulp nervously, constantly scanning the area for any teachers or staff that may be walking by, but I see no one.

"Here, Louis." Lexi hands me a blunt after she fully prepared it. I take it and then widen my eyes, exhaling deeply in hopes of calming myself down.

I take one more look around the area and widen my eyes more when I see Niall walking over here.

Before anyone else sees him, I say I have to use the bathroom and then I rush out from under the bleachers.

I push Niall back and behind a few trees, following him back there so nobody would see us talking.

"What the hell, mate?" Niall complains. I shush him and then cross my arms. "Why were you under the bleachers?" He squints his eyes to see better as he looks over there.

"N-no reason, let's just go back inside-"

"There's smoke coming out from under it." He grows more furious. "Louis, what the hell were you doing under there?!" He yells, stepping closer to me.

"You're not my fucking dad, Niall!" I yell back.

"It doesn't matter!" He groans. "You're my best friend and I don't want you getting caught up in drinking and smoking! It's not good! I don't want you getting hurt from that and it will hurt you! I can't see you get hurt!"

"Too fucking late, Niall!" I yell angrily, crossing my arms and rolling my eyes. Right after that, though, my anger turns to sadness as I realize I just told Niall that I'm already hurt. His facial expression changes to regret and sympathy and he bites his lip.

"What do you mean, too late?" He asks me. I blink away a few tears and shake my head. "You're already hurt? Like, physically?"

"It doesn't matter." I say sternly but quietly. "I didn't mean that."

"You did," Niall sighs. "Lou, I know you did. What do you mean?"

"I mean," I exhale, clenching my fists. "I mean I've already been hurt, Niall. I am hurting - currently. Okay?"

"Lou I- can't you tell me? I want to help you. I don't want you to be hurt." He begs me, his eyes getting slightly watery.

A few tears roll down my cheeks as I shake my head. "I can't tell you, I can't tell anyone because it doesn't matter! I've tried telling people but it doesn't help! I don't know what else to fucking do other than get drunk and forget about it!" I start yelling again, more tears making their way down my cheeks. "Telling you, telling anyone, isn't going to make this stop hurting!"

"It can, Lou." Niall says softly, his face sympathetic. "Tell someone to get advice. Please."

"I know what to do to stop this," I say quieter now. "But I can't do that." I think about how I need to get over Niall and face the fact that I can never be more than his friend.

"I'm sure you can," he smiles sadly. I look up at him, into his ocean blue eyes and just stare at him admiringly for a moment.

How did this happen? I ask myself. I suddenly look at my best friend and view him completely differently than before. Niall James Horan, to me, is beautiful. His body is beautiful and HE is beautiful. Outside and inside. How am I supposed to get over him?

"I really can't."

Tysm for commenting and voting (if you did lol)

I have nothing else to say, soooo see you in the next chapter😁

Goodnight😘

~Kairi🌸