53-Dream a Little Dream of Me

"I feel fat. Do I look fat?" I ask Steve as I look at my reflection in the mirror. The black dress looked horrible on me and did nothing to hide my bump, which I was desperately trying to do. I felt sick to my stomach as I tried to fix the dress.

"You don't look fat, doll. You look beautiful." Steve tries, but my hormones make me take it the wrong way. Angry hot tears brim my eyes and Steve's face pales. I've been trying on dresses for the last two hours and it seems like the little miracle was not letting me fit into anything. I felt like a fucking whale. Damn you, Steve Rogers and this damn super solider baby. There's a sharp rap on the door and Natasha walks in with a shit ton of dresses over her arm. She places them on the bed. How she got this many dresses this early in the morning, I will never know. It has to be some sort of divine intervention.

"These are all bigger then what's currently in your closet, but that isn't a bad thing because you are pregnant. There is more flow-y dresses in there if you just want to hide the bump, there's some of your usual style too." She says and Steve looks at her almost gratefully. I blink the tears away as I look at the Russian spy as she speaks, "Personally, I think you should just rock the bump. Show them you aren't fucking around and you aren't hiding anything."

"Thanks Tasha." I say softly and the red head smiles. Natasha was so damn rational and I was very thankful for it at this moment.

"Glad I can help. Now get dressed, we leave in thirty." She tells us before walking out, shutting the door behind her. I don't even have to ask Steve to unzip me, he's already doing it. I practically tear the dress off of me, tossing it with the rest on the floor. I'd hang them back up when I get back.

"Tell me why I decided to agree to have us to speak with the United Nations?" I ask as I go to the bed, moving the flow-y dresses aside. I picked up a soft black dress that looked like something Pepper would wear and I put it on. Steve zips me up, looking at me in the mirror.

"Because we would have to do it anyway and you wanted to get it done with." Steve tells me, smiling as I sigh with relief. I could fucking breathe in this dress. He hands me my two rings and I slip them on my ring finger. I fixed my hair in the mirror as he grabbed my heels. I sat down on the bed and put them on. Bennett women didn't swollen feet and ankles during pregnancy and I was glad for it.

"I swear to God this child is growing every day." I murmur as I stand. The cuts on my leg and arm was finally healed up, but heels probably weren't the best idea for today. Although, that wasn't going to stop me from wearing heels today. Steve smiles at me sympathetically. He looks very clean and handsome in his suit, making my heart beat a little faster.

"Sorry about that, sweetheart." He tells me as I grab my purse. Steve wraps his arms around me and leads me down the hall.

-

"Mrs Stark-Rogers, you have the floor." One of the delegates says into a mic. I stand, holding my speech in my hands. I walk past my team and down into the center of the United Nations. I walked like Peggy walked, head held up, shoulders held back. Eventually, I stand in front of a podium, looking out to a large crowd of people. I take a deep breath before moving closer towards the microphone. My red painted fingers tapped nervously against the podium.

"Thank you for letting me speak today. As you all know, I am Peyton Stark-Rogers, one of the original members of the Avengers and a wanted fugitive. The world is in complete disarray. Almost a week ago, an alien named Thanos and his "children" came to Earth and made it a living hell. In Wakanda, I, as well as my fellow teammates made a stand against Thanos and we didn't win. Thanos took out half of the universe, taking people that many of us are close with." I keep my voice even as I look out to the crowd, "For me personally, it took Samuel Wilson, Wanda Maximoff, King T'Challa of Wakanda, and my husband's best friend James Barnes. For all I know, it could have taken my brother, the last family I got." My voice wavers and I shut my eyes. Breathe.