58-i love you

"Well, the baby is still growing at an accelerated rate, Mrs Rogers. You are six months along but your baby is bigger than that." The doctor tells me as I wipe the jelly off my stomach. Steve is sitting in a chair nearby, his leg is bouncing. He's nervous.

"Is the baby going to be okay?" Steve asks, trying to calm himself. My hands pull my shirt down as the doctor leans against the wall.

"Yes, but with how fast he is growing-he can be here any moment. So that means you can't exactly be doing things you normally do, Peyton. You need to rest, eat healthy, and just make sure everything is ready for this baby. It also might be a good idea to maybe stay in Manhattan until the birth, just so you're closer to the hospitals." The doctor responds and I think the color drains from my face. I thought I would have more time to prepare-Am I not ready for this kid?-Oh my God, I'm not ready. I can't breathe oh my God I can't breathe-I'm shaking oh my God-

"Relax, Peyton, just breathe." The doctor rushes over, trying to soothe me. I can hear the chair scraping on tile as Steve worriedly stands up. The doctor is rubbing my back. I focus on my breathing.

"Is she okay?" Steve asks, the worried-ness invading his voice. Damn it Steve I'm right here, don't talk about me like I'm not. After that, it's like I'm underwater. I simply nod or shake my head when the doctor asks a question. I'm just there. Eventually, Steve leads me out of the doctor's office and I think he mentions Panera.

I break out of my trance when car door opens and he slides. The scent of Mac and cheese, soup, salad, and I think a barbecue chicken flatbread fills my nose.

"Hey, are you doing okay?" Steve asks, his baby blues full of concern. He's your husband, you can be truthful with him.

"I thought I would have more time to prepare." I tell him honestly. Steve nods and sighs lightly as he buckles his seat belt.

"So did I. Then again, this is our first kid. I don't think we could ever be prepared fully." He confesses, looking at me. Steve gives me a smile and I can't help but smile back at him.

-

"So what did the baby doctor say?" Rhodey asks as I pregnant waddle in and sit on the couch. I immediately put my feet up after kicking off my shoes. Steve kisses my forehead and walks over to the kitchen to get me water.

"She said that you need to get off my metaphorical dick, Rhodes." I retort with a grin, which makes Rocket laugh extremely loudly. Natasha sits down next to me and I truly envy her in this moment, especially since she probably doesn't feel like a whale right now.

"Actually, she said that he can be born any day now, so Peyton is practically on bed rest." Steve informs them as he brings me my water. I smile at him, mouthing a thank you in his direction. Bruce walks out of the kitchen, stirring his tea, his eyebrows knitted together.

"And the baby will be okay?" Bruce asks and I nod, sipping at my water.

"That's what the doctor said. I'm only six months along but the baby didn't get the memo. That's why I am so freaking huge." I tell them, hand resting on my stomach. Thor smiles at me from his seat.

"If it is getting close to the child's birth, you must start wearing the necklace that I gave you. My mother's spirit will help ease the birth." Thor tells me seriously and I nod. Anything to make this situation easier, I am down for. Whenever the baby was brought up, it eased all of us. It allowed us to distance ourselves from what was going on outside.