74-Dear Theodosia

I wanted to ride out most of the contractions at home, but as soon as Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes realized that I was in pain, they took me to the hospital. Sam called Pepper, Pepper called Rhodey, Rhodey called Wanda, Wanda called Bruce. There was definitely a reason I wanted to wait out most of my contractions at home, alone.

"Pey, do you want more ice chips?" Sam asks, grabbing my partially filled cup of ice. I didn't really get to speak before Rhodey was moving to fix my pillow. I suddenly remember why Steve and I had agreed on having the least amount of people possible in the room when I had Ben. All of this mother-hen bullshit was annoying.

"Does that feel better? I can go get you a pillow from your place if that would make you feel more comfortable." He offers as another contraction hits. Wanda frowns from her spot by the window, drinking some random iced drink. I was getting unhappy fast and she knows it. I turned my attention to Pepper, mouthing "help". My sister-in-law stood up from her seat and smiled at everyone.

"I think it might be best if we let Pey rest for awhile. She isn't going to be giving birth anytime soon and I'm sure she would enjoy some privacy. So Rhodey, Sam, and Bucky why don't you three take everyone back to the house in Brooklyn and keep the kids entertained? I'll stay with Pey, seeing that I'm the only one who has actually given birth." Pepper says in the politest way, her hands clasped in front of her. Bucky and Sam look at me, slightly concerned.

"Are you sure, Pey? We can stay-" Bucky starts but I give them both a look. I will physically hurt both of you if don't fucking leave.

"Pepper said it in a much nicer way, but get the hell out. Please." I say almost tiredly. Morgan and Benny were currently being watched by Bruce, because he was afraid he might not fit in the hospital room and as much as I trust Bruce, I needed these fucking people out of my room. Rhodey kisses my forehead, as did Wanda, before they all left in a big group. I sighed almost happily, falling back against the stiff hospital pillows.

"You looked extremely uncomfortable and you did the same for me when I was giving birth to Morgan." Pepper tells me with a smile on her face as she sits down next to my hospital bed. I smile at her.

"Thank you. I didn't want to come here but Bucky and Sam wouldn't take no for an answer. There's nothing they can really do for me right now." I respond and she nods almost knowingly. I rub my stomach, much rather be laying in my bed at home. Pepper sighs and holds my hand.

"You're worried. What's wrong?" She asks, her thumb drawing circles on the back of my hand. I sigh and look at her. Years of being around her has caused Pepper to know me as well as she knew Tony.

"I don't think I can do this, Pep. I-I can't even decide on a name for this kid. I can't raise him-Steve was so much better at this stuff." I ramble out, my eyes on her. She smiles at me, her eyes going soft.

"You were always a much better parent than Steve was and you know it. You were the one that helped Ben with his homework, who stayed up with him when he had a fever. You're the one who called me crying because Benjamin wouldn't stop crying because he was getting his teeth in and you didn't want him to be in pain. Sure, Steve took him to the occasional baseball game and carried him when we went to Disneyland but you did all the things that mattered. You're going to be fine." Pepper reassures me and I give her a small smile, really appreciating her words. I drop her hand and grip the side of the bed as another contraction hits. My eyes screw shut in pain.

"Jesus fucking Christ! God, can you please just get out of me?" I grunt out, "And thanks Pepper. You're an absolute sweetheart."

"You're welcome, Pey." She laughs and carefully wipes away the sweat off of my forehead as she continues, "You want help with the names? I think we might have time to kill."