63-Landslide

Fleetwood Mac played over the speakers as I drove through the forest. Steve's hand was still on my thigh, gently tapping out the beat as nothing but green flew past us. Eventually I turned down a gravel path, the rocks tap tapping at the undercarriage of the car. I pulled up to Tony's lake house, parking as I watch Tony and Morgan play. I smile and get out of the car, tucking the keys in my pocket of my leather jacket. Tony looks up as my door shuts smiling for a moment before he sees my entourage. In my mind, I'm silently cursing at my husband for pushing me to try to convince Tony to hear Scott out.

"Aren't you supposed to be in school?" I call out, walking in front of everyone. I take off my sunglasses, resting them on my head. Morgan turns and grins, moving out of her father's arms. Oh I'm definitely her third favorite person.

"Auntie Pey!" She screams before launching herself at me. I grab her and pick her up, kissing her cheek. My brother stands up from the tiny chair he was sitting in and walks over. I hope I have "I'm sorry" written across my face.

"Hey, I thought we had a deal. No bringing Avengers stuff around the kid." He whispers to me a little harshly as soon as he reaches me. I set Morgan down, sighing. I pinch her cheek before looking at my brother.

"Look, you know I wouldn't have brought Steve if it wasn't maybe a emergency, Tones" I try to tell him as I follow him inside the house. Steve knows better to follow us inside. I wave hi to Pepper before bearing myself for the onslaught of words Tony is about to throw at me, but he doesn't. Instead he pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs. My brother looks at me and there must be something on my face that makes him reposition his anger towards me.

"Alright you get one chance. One." Tony says before following me back outside. His hand rests on the middle of my back, a little above that ugly ugly scar.

Maybe five minutes later, I am leaning against the wall, listening to Scott attempting to explain his "time heist" plan. It's going to go nowhere, I can tell by the look on Tony's face. When Morgan runs out, I know that my brother isn't going to help us. I told Steve this was a bad idea and I didn't exactly love being used in this situation only to try to sway Tony.

"Mommy told me to come and save you." She says and Tony picks her up, hugging her tightly. I love seeing my brother happy, I really do. He deserves it.

"Good job, I'm saved. I wish you'd come here to ask me something else." Tony says as he stands, holding his daughter in his arms, "Honestly, I'm happy to see you guys. Look the table is set for six-"

"Tony, I get it and I'm happy for you, I really am. But this is a second chance." Steve says, stopping my brother. I sigh, looking to look out at the lake. It's all really beautiful out here. I can see why Pepper and Tony moved out here. Why can't I be happy with normalcy?

"I got my second chance right here. I can't let that slide. I wish you'd appreciate the second chance you got." Tony says, obviously unhappy with my situation, "If you don't talk shop, you can stay for lunch." My team walks away headed back to the car and I'm about to join them when my brother grabs my arm, stopping me. I turn to look at him.

"I don't understand why you stand by his side so obediently. How do you think that this is possible?" Tony asks, his eyes are wide as he tries to study my face. I smile sadly at my brother, kissing his cheek and then Morgan's.

"I guess I stay by his side for the same reason mom stood by dad's-I just love him. And with the whole time heist, well it's better than just staying at home and doing nothing." I tell him honestly before walking away, sitting in the car with the others. I pull out of the driveway and start towards the diner we are supposed to be meeting Bruce at. I had set up that meeting for right after the meeting with Tony because I knew it wasn't going to work out with my brother.