Chapter 11

•Noelani•

I woke up around 11 in the afternoon seeing the shining into the apartment. I yawn while stretching my arms out. My whole body was cracking. Like my bones was breaking. It felt good.

I hop up from the bed and walk to the closet. I open the door and lift the cover off from the bag. I unzip it and grab just one 20$. Wait, while only one. I grabbed another 20 then another. I zip the bag up and laid the cover over it. I close the door and walk out the room. I made my way downstairs imagining that my mother was kitchen cooking while my father coming in the door greeting me saying ‘hey baby girl, how you slept’  but no. I don't have that. The whole apartment was empty. Only me.

I open the door to the apartment sniffing the New York air. I smiled to myself thanking God for giving me another day. I don't give up on myself. I don't have to give up. I still want to experience some things in life. And I should. I step outside and close the door. I made my way away from the vacant apartment. My journey to Manhattan only takes 10 minutes.

Finally I made it to Manhattan. I look up seeing Starbucks. That's what I want. Coffee. I made my way inside the cafe seeing only 5 people in line. I waited and waited till finally it was my turn.

"How can I help you?"she ask.

"Can I have a Carmel frappe and a chocolate chip cookie"I smiled.

"That's it?"

"That is it"I said. She nod her head while pressing the machine.

"Your total is $10.55"she said. Why so much? I took out a $20 and gave it to her. She gave me back my change with a smile. "Your frappe will be out shortly"

"Thanks"I walk to a seat in the cafe and sat down. A man was behind me and kept mumbling something. I rolled my eyes and waited for my frappe.

As I sat there and waited till I heard the door open. I didn't turn around but I heard the voices.

"What the hell happened yesterday?"I heard a girl say. "you was suppose to grab the cash and take off. I seen this bitch walking in the club and out with our money"

"Man, that bitch lied to me"my eyes became wide when I heard the voice. That was the same guy from last night.

"Why would you even trust her? Dave didn't come back till 12"she said. "You always fucking up"

"A Carmel frappe and chocolate chip cookie"the man said. I stood up fastly and snatch it out his hands. I didn't want to turn around and let him see me but I guess I will have to make a run for it.

I turn around and seen the girl that saw me stealing the money looking back at me. She gasp then drop her phone. Run. I ran out of Starbucks hearing the boy behind me. I ran as fast as I can to at least shake him off me. I took the frappe and threw it at him. I can hear him cursing out loud. I made a quick left through the ally way still running fast.

"Come here!! Give me back my money!!"I heard him yelled.

"No punk!!"I yelled back. I jump over some trash and pull some trash on the ground so it can distract him. But that didn't work. I made my way across the street where some cars stop and blow at me. But still, he chased after.

"I'm coming for yo ass bitch!!"he yelled. I tried on getting people attention but they didn't see me.

"Shit!"I kept running. I can't even breath. I need to stop.

All of sudden a black Escalade stop in front of me and a man hop out the van with a ski mask on. I stop dead in my tracks bout trying to figure out where to go but to late. The man grabbed me and threw me in the truck.

I guess I'm not a quick thinker like my mom.