Romeo X Reader (Fairy Tail) {Kids, Teens and Then Adults}

Edit February 3, 2021: This one shot is free of gender for the reader. Please let me know if you see anything that reads otherwise and I will correct it.

"Hurry up (y/n)! You're gonna miss it!" Romeo shouted as we ran to our secret hiding spot.

"I'm running as fast as I can!" I shouted back and he laughed.

Just outside Magnolia was a small wooded area that Romeo and I would walked around at. Tonight, there was this huge fireworks display in the middle of town. We both decided to sneak away from the guild and watch them from a distance.

Of course we didn't think about it being dark out after words. Climbing down the ladder was easy, but now you can't see anything. There wasn't any moonlight to lead the way back home.

"I'm sorry (y/n), this is my fault." Romeo said, "we should've stayed with the guild like you said."

I took his tiny hand in mine and tried to remember the way back home. "It's okay, let's just find a way home."

He squeezed my hand, not saying a word. 

All of a sudden, the grand finale started. "I thought there wasn't gonna be one this year." Romeo said and pulled me to follow him. "Come on! Let's get back to the main road!"

I nodded and rushed off with him, never letting go of his hand.

The fireworks went off in the back ground as the ground was filled with the sudden color in the sky. We both smiled when we saw the lights in town from a distance. 

As you can imagine, the guild was looking all over for us. Romeo and I didn't care. He still never let go of my hand until I did when I went into my house.

----

"Is that all you got! Come on (y/n)! I know you can do better than that!" Romeo taunted holding purple fire in his hands. 

I shrugged and put my hands down, "yeah but I don't want to waste the effort on you."

He started at me for a moment, "that's no way to talk to you-"

We did a quick scan to see if anyone was around us. One of the guild's windows was open. We both frowned and Romeo's fire disappeared, walking over to me.

He took my hand, "you know maybe we should just tell them already. They all ship us after all." He said in a soft voice.

"I know but then they'll spy on us. It's Fairy Tail for crying out loud." I whisper shouted. 

"Yeah, you're right." He said and let go if my hand. He started walking towards the front gate, not needing to say or ask about where we are going.

"Never thought you'd say that." I replied.

"Say what?" He asked.

"'Yeah, you're right'." 

"Oh, that. Y-yeah well you know..."

"Know that?" I teased.

He's face turned red, "don't tease me like that! You know that I like you already!"

I glared at him, "say it louder for the people in the back." 

"Relax, everyone knows that we're best friends and nothing more. As far as that know..."

----

We had arrived at out hiding spot. We climbed the ladder to the top of the tree house that over looked a small meadow. "Can you believe that this was at the end of the small woods we used to run around at?" Romeo said, wrapping is arms around my waist and placing his head on top of mine.

"Never in a million years. Still this is the place where we walked slowly in the dark." I said.

"The first place we held hands."

"First place I told you I liked you."

"First time I asked you on a date."

"First place you took me out on a date."

"First place I asked you out on a second date."

"First place I rejected me because I had a job that day." I said with a chuckle.

"First place I kissed you." He said, I knew that he was smiling.

"Sooooo many first. I hope there are never any lasts." I said, leaning against him as we stared out into the distance.

We stayed until the sun started to go down.

----

"First place I told you I loved you when we were what, sixteen? Maybe?" Romeo asked as we looked up at the old tree house."

"Something like that. Can you believe it, we're old!" I said and laughed.

"The kids moved out and are on their own adventures now. Just like when we were that age." He replied, taking my hand in his.

"At least we still have this place to call our first home. Remember that time my parents found me and I ran to your house?" I asked.

He nodded, "yep scared the crap out of my dad the next morning. That night we ran here and almost froze."

"But you stayed up all night to keep us warm. I don't think there's a better way to tell someone that you love them."

He blushed, "I was young and dumb, you know that!"

"Aw, even when you're an old man you can still blush!" I teased.

"Why did I marry you again?" He asked in a joking tone.

"Because we were always going to be more than just best friends."

Yes this is short and was supposed to be a teen! Romeo X Teen! Reader but you know plans change as you write. Anyway you'll have to deal with the short post tonight, I played Kingdom Heart one too long tonight. Not releasing the time I ate dinner (which was around eight at night) and then watched t.v. with my mom longer than I thought. I'm  going to sleep now but, I hope you guys liked it and thank you so much for reading!

LOVE YOU GUYS