Chapter 10: Fallen angel

Victor's POV

I watched My daughter fall in the rain of gun fire around me. Sandro was the first to reach her. Then Vince. They stood over her, guarding her body. My baby was laying in a pool of blood. I'd never been so scared. I've seen more than my fair share in my 63 years of life, but this I could have never been prepared for. My daughter dying before my eyes was truly the stuff nightmares are made out of.
I ran cautiously to them with my gun drawn for cover. Andres, my dear old friend, followed my lead. As did Sandro's father, Ricco.
"Sandro, check my daughter!" I yelled as we reached them.
Quickly her husband dropped to the ground and assessed her injuries.
"We need to get her to the doctor!" He said loudly. "She is losing too much blood!"
"We need to take her back inside to Dr. Capps." I said shooting a man that was running toward us. "Sandro, Vince, I want you to lift her gently and run. We will cover you." Then I turn to Dante. "Kill them all son." I said angrily. "Keep the woman alive if you can."
"Done." He said killing two more men that had just come around the corner.
I've been angry at all three of these boys in my life, but I wouldn't have trusted anyone else with my daughter's life in this moment.
My happy event had turned in to a shit storm. Maybe it was a sign that I wasn't meant to be with Donna. We had been so happy these past few years. We spoiled our grandchildren and loved each other fiercely.
Sandro and Vince carefully lifted my daughter off the ground. They communicated silently. It always amazed me how much they hated each other until Annie had a problem. With no Ana around they fought constantly and when Ana showed up they could be best friends and would work together.
Carefully they ran to the house carting my baby with them. Both of them looked as horrible as I felt. The idea of losing my child was just... Well let me tell you it's definitely not a good feeling.
"Francis to the house!" Andres yelled to his son as we quickly we all made our way to the house. I wanted to check my baby. My princess was laying on the couch looking rather lifeless when I got inside. Sandro and Vince looked rough, that worried me. They both sat on the arms of the couch exchanging looks with each other and looking at my daughter.
"What are you doing?" I asked. "Put pressure on the wounds or she will bleed out."
"I'm sorry Victor." Francis said to me with tears on his face. "She's already gone."
"No. I refuse to believe that. Sandro, you are her husband. Fight for her god damn it!" I yelled.
"It won't do any good Victor. She's not breathing." Vince said silently crying. "Her heart has stopped. She's not breathing. She left us."
"I don't believe this. How can both of you just give up?" I ask. "Someone do something. We can just let her die. Please?" I beg my friends and their children.
Francis nods at me as I look at him. As he checks my daughter and he looks at me sadly.
"Victor, she's gone. I'm sorry." Andres said.
"No. If none of you will do it I'll do it myself. Sandro go get your doctor."
"Victor. You need to let her go peacefully." Ricco replies.
"He's right." Andreas said grabbing my shoulder.
"Get your god damn hands off me." I push his hand away. "I refuse to stop fighting for my daughter even if you all have."
I go to the couch and start chest compressions. I look up at Sandro and give him a look. He stands and leaves the room quickly understanding that I refuse to give up. I look up at Vince.
"Are you going to help or are you going to sit on your ass and do nothing?" I ask.
"What do you want from me Victor?" Vince asked sadly.
"Help me." I answer. "Breathe for her."
Vince drops to his knees beside Ana and sighs before he whispers to her.
"I'm sorry so piccola." He said with fresh tears on his face.
Then Vince puts his mouth to Ana's. He blows out and fills her lungs. I push down on her chest in a steady rhythm.
"Again." I order.
Again Vince breathes into her mouth. Still there is no change, but we continue to repeat the process until Sandro comes back with the doctor.
"Breathe baby." I say willing her to come back to me.
"Dad." Leo said joining us. "Let me. I don't need you having a heart attack trying to save her."
I move aside and let Leo give his sister compressions.
"Please Annie. Please don't die." Leo begs his sister.
Minutes pass. Still nothing. No breath. No pulse. No life. Now the families slowly begin to join us.
"I can't do this anymore." Vince said moving back completely coming unglued and begins to sob. "I'm sorry Victor, Leo, it's no use. Let her go. Please let her go peacefully."
She laid there unmoving. Finally Sandro returns a few steps behind his doctor. A moment later would have been to late. The doctor takes over compressions and Leo breathes for his little sister. Francis continues to check for a pulse. After what seemed like forever his expression changed.
"Stop." Francis said. "I've got something."
Dr. Micheal double checked.
"We have a pulse." The young doctor said. "We can still help her."
Ana gasps for air but she's still unconscious.
"Do whatever you have to to keep her alive." I order.
The boys work quickly patching her wounds. Ana continues to lay still. Micheal calls his father needing a more experienced doctor's opinion and expertise.
Dr. Daniel arrives a short time later and together the duo get my daughter to a stable condition. The verdict is she's in a coma. They can't tell me when she'll wake up or even if she will. The only thing that was certain was that she suffered severe brain damage and when she did wake up her memory may not be there if she could even function. She would not be that Ana we lost an hour ago. She would be somebody new, someone with no knowledge of recent events. She may not remember that she is my daughter.
Roman and his men left my son-in-law's home after Dante had captured the woman and the men were left for dead. We had cleaners come clean up the mess of bodies. Outside it was a blood bath. The only losses were some of Sandro's guards. The families survived. Some were wounded but everyone was alive. Most importantly my Ana.