Chapter 65: Break My Heart Again

I laid with Franco on the couch of the Benedetti's family room listening to him tell me stories about his wife and children. He spoke of them fondly and poured his love in to the stories he told me.

He told me in his first year of marriage. His wife burnt the first dinner she'd made after they moved in to their home. She'd had a melt down and blamed it on the oven. They ended up ordering Chinese take out.

After three months of burnt meals Franco had hired a house keeper to help out around the house and make dinner. He'd told his wife it was to eliminate some of the stresses from running a home so he could take her to do fun things. He told me his wife had protested but after a week she'd tried to convince him the house keeper was her idea.

He told me his first child came later that year. His name was Josiah Giulio Russo. He had just turned six. A few years after that they had another son, Roberto Silvano Russo, who was three now. The night his wife passed six months prier she'd given birth to a daughter which he'd named after her, Alannah Nathalia Russo.

"Can I meet them?" I asked looking up at him. "Your kids."

"Of course you can." He smiled down at me. "Eugenio should have brought them here by now. You'll love them."

"He's your brother right? The one who was with your mother the night she..." I said pushing off his chest and sitting up.

"He was in the car when she was killed." Franco answered. "He was only four years old."

Franco took my hand and stood up, pulling me quickly from the couch and leading me out of the room. We walked together back to the entryway and turned entering the den.

"Eugene." Franco said gaining his brother's attention as we entered the room.

Eugene turned away from Francis and Antonio and a smile filled his face. My eyes fixed on the little girl he was holding in his arms. She was a gorgeous pudgy little thing and I wanted to hold her as soon as I saw her.

"Anabeth." Eugene said adoringly. "How are you?"

"I'm okay." I said.

I walked to him giving him a shoulder hug and took the fussy baby from his arms.

"Hello princess." I said with a smile.

I took her from her uncle she stopped fussing immediately. She looked up at me with the same big sad brown puppy eyes her father had.

"How did you do that?" Engine asked with a dumbfounded look on his face. "She's been crying at me since we got up this morning."

"I didn't do anything." I said in a baby voice as I smiled and bouncing her on my hip. "She probably just wanted an interaction with somebody smarter than she is. Didn't you?"

I watched Dante's brothers smile behind Franco's. I knew that it was dangerous to insult an of the Russo's, but I knew that none of them would try anything in a room full of people that would protect me.

"Weird." Vance said walking over.

He shook his head and took a sip from the glass in his hand.

"What?" I asked him in my normal voice.

"She looks just like you." Dante said joining us.

"I promise you it's impossible she's mine. I was pregnant and in a coma when she was born." I said.

"All we are saying is if you decide to kidnap her and run away nobody would suspect she wasn't yours." Francis said.

"I'm sure her dad would be pretty pissed if I did that." I reply in my normal voice and turn towards Franco. "What do you think daddy? Would you hunt me down if I kidnapped your daughter."