Chapter 12: Confused

Ana's POV

I feel groggy and my head hurts. I open my eyes slightly and see a heart rate monitor flash beside my bed. Glancing down I see that it's attached to me. The darkness makes it hard to see. Looking slightly to the left I see a man sitting beside my bed crying on his arms. My first thought is that it was my father. Then I thought maybe it was Vince. I wanted to reach out and touch him but I couldn't will my hand to move. Then he spoke.
"I'm so sorry Ana." I hear Georgio's voice echo in the dark room. "I'm sorry that you've had the life you did. I'm sorry that I was such a jerk to you. I wish you'd wake up princess. You will never know how much we all miss you. We need you. Please wake up. Please come back to us and be you."
"Um. What?" I asked genuinely confused.
"Ana?" He asked standing up quickly.
"What?" I asked groggily and still partially asleep.
"Your awake." He said excitedly through a curtain of tears and began smothering my face with wet sloppy kisses. "I'm so happy your awake."
"Ew. Gross." I said trying to push him away with my eyes closed tightly in disgust. "George stop. I'm trying to sleep."
"I'll be right back." He said readying himself to run out of the room.
Flash of light and thunder clap fills the room.
"No. Stay. Come fall asleep with me." I say catching his hand quickly. "I won't tell my dad you're in my room. I just... I don't want to be alone."
Surely my dad wouldn't be happy to learn that his teenage daughter was in the same bed with a Benedetti when two years before my dad had nearly lost his mind when Sergio and I had fallen asleep on the couch together.
Giorgio stopped and looked at me as I spoke. He looked confused for a moment. He looked up at the flash of light outside followed by the booming of the thunder. Then looked back to me as a tears begin sliding quickly down my face.
"Please George." I beg with fear in my voice, I open my eyes a little wider and feel my lip quiver slightly before I begin to sob. "Please stay with me."
"Of course preziosa, of course I'll stay." He said coming back to me and sitting on the bed. "But you've been asleep for a long time. Your family and friends will want to see you."
"Can't it wait until morning?" I ask.
"Yes I suppose it can." He said brushing my hair back with his hand as another flash of light feels the room.
I'm so confused. This man sounded like Giorgio but he didn't look like the Giorgio that picked me, Issac and Sergio up from school yesterday. He was older. Would he hurt me? Could I trust him? I remember guns being fired around me and the sound my head made as it bounced on the asphalt driveway. I remember being older and married but I don't.
"Fall asleep with me?" I ask still feeling rather confused and on edge.
He climbed on the bed beside me and kissed my cheek. Then he turns on his side and kisses my shoulder as he pulls me closer against his chest. I do my best to relax in his arms and fall back asleep.
"I thought I was going to die When I hit my head." Where are we George?" I ask as the heaviness of sleep starts to set in.
"We are at your grandpa's home just outside the city." He says in a hushed tone.
"Where is Vinny?"
"I'm not sure, but he'll be here in the morning."
"And Sandro?"
"He's across the hall sleeping in the guest room."
I accept his answer and let go of the world around me. My head was swimming and everything hurt. I hope someone can answer my questions in the morning. But for now I'm exhausted I need to sleep.

***

I wake up wrapped in George's arms with my back against his chest. Light pours through the window. I shift so I can lay on my back and put my hands on my stomach. What is that? My eyes open quickly as a sit up and look down. I'm filled with panic seeing my giant belly. I don't know what to do and panic causes me to scream.
"Ana! What's wrong?" The man next to me asks.
I quickly move off the bed away from him, ripping the heart rate monitor wires off of my body before I scream again.
"Who are you?" I ask the man screaming and crying. "What did you do to me?"
"Ana. Calm down. It's me, Giorgio."
"No, you are not George."
Suddenly the door opens and more men I don't know run in the room. I look back at the one on my bed trying to move further away from him.
"Ana!"
I look up at Matteo Benedetti as he barks my name. He walks toward me quickly and wraps me in his arms.
"Shhhh. Calm down. It's okay. Everything is okay." He said holding me tightly. "Go get the doctor" he tells the man on the bed.
"What's happening?" I ask. "I don't know what's happening to me. Where am I? Who are all these people? Matteo where's my dad."
I feel his body tense as I ask about my dad and I can't help but think the worst.
"Oh my god, is he okay? Is my dad okay?" I ask.
"Ana, your father is fine. Can I ask you some questions?" Matteo asks.
I nod against his chest.
"Come on Piccola. Sit down with me. I want you to tell me what you remember."
"Okay." I agree and sit back down on the bed with him.
Why would he call me by Vince's nickname for me?
"What happened yesterday?" He asks.
"She wasn't..." A man behind him said.
"Shh." Matteo said quickly. "Not you, her." He looks back at me. "Tell me what you remember Ana. What day is it?"
"It's Saturday. Yesterday George picked Issac, Sergio, and I up from school and we went to a party that our friends were throwing for him because George has a birthday in two days, but there was an accident on the way there. We slid through a stop sign and hit a power pole."
"Ana how old are you?" Matteo asks concerned.
"Eleven for two more weeks." I answer confused.
"Fuck!" Matteo said standing quickly running his hands through his hair. Then he turns back to me and points to the group of men that entered with him. "Do you know who any of these people are."
I shake my head. "No."
"Who am I?"
"Matteo Benedetti." I said feeling more scared than I was a moment ago.
"Motherfucker." He said sighing. He puts his hands on his hips and turns away as he paces to the window.
"Where's Vincenzo?" I ask starting to cry. "I'm so scared. I need him. I don't know why he is mad at me, please tell him I'm sorry for whatever I did to make him hate me. Please, I need Vinny. "
A steady stream of tears fall down my face as I watch him. I turn away from him for a moment and look at the group of men standing around the room. They all look different but yet so familiar. I study each of their faces. More men walk in and out of the room but keep their distance as they have hushed conversations.
"Nobody gets to judge what I'm about to do." One of the men said and left the room.
Another man walks in as the one who spoke exits.
"Hello Ana. Do you remember me?" The man asks.
I shake my head.
"My name is Micheal Capps. I've been your doctor for the past eight years."
"No, my doctor is Daniel Capps." I said to the man.
He smiles and sits beside me on the bed.
"Yes my father was your doctor, I took his patients when he retired."
"I thought he had like twenty years before he retired."
"No, it was about three years ago he let me and my brother take over for him completely. I'm going to check your vitals and then I'd like to ask you some questions. Would that be alright?"
I looked at the man and then to Matteo who nodded once.
"Okay." I agreed.
I let the man examine me. He removed tubes and wires from my body that I hadn't ripped off as he went along.
"Okay Ana. There is one more thing I want to check but it's going to make you uncomfortable. I'm going to have everyone leave the room and I need to check the baby."
"No." I said flatly.
"I have to do it Ana. Someone can stay if you want but I need to make sure both of you are okay."
"Where's Vinny?" I ask looking up at Matteo then back to the doctor. "I want him or Dante. If you think your touching me with out one of them in the room your dreaming pal."
All the men in the room snickered and chuckled after I spoke. I didn't get the joke.
"Look." I said starting to feel more and more frustrated. "I need somebody in the room that I trust or you're not touching me."
"Ana, be nice to the doctor." A man said. He sounded like Sergio but he looked like Vince. I looked him over until I was sure of it. It was my Vinny.
"Vinny!" I said happily.
He came to me and wrapped me tightly in his arms.
"What did you do Sergio?" Matteo asked him.
"I shaved. There's a reason why I always kept my face the way I did." Vince said. "Mom was the one who kept saying I looked like you. I guess she was right."
"I don't understand what's happening." I said. "That's not Sergio."
"It's okay Ana." Vince said giving me a small smile. "No one in this room will hurt you. I know you don't recognize anybody or remember what happened, but I hope you understand that we all love you and we will help you understand the best that we can."
"I trust you." I said and furrowed my eyebrows. "But I'm confused."
"We will explain everything, let the doctor finish examining you and we will see where we stand Okay?"
"Okay. Will you stay with me?" I ask.
"I won't leave your side but he stays too." Vince gestures to his dad.
"Okay." I said thinking it over before I answered.
"Everyone out." The doctor commands.