Chapter 50: Ana's secrets

Vince's POV

"That's it." Matt said. "That's everything. Do you want me to take her back?"

"No." I said. "I think she's asleep. If she starts to cause problems I'll stop and we can move her."

"Fine by me." Matt said.

He turned and looked out the window. The car was quiet and uncomfortable. It was a bad idea to let him get in my car but there wasn't time to pawn him off on someone else. Maybe I'd do it when we stopped for fuel.

"Why'd you do it?" I asked breaking the moment of awkward silence.

"I'm sorry?" He said.

"You said you shot your brother. I asked why you did it." I said.

"Oh, um, for Ana. Mark was hell bent on getting back at her for breaking his heart and running off with you. For a brief time I thought we could steal her back but I've never wanted to hurt her the way he did. All I wanted was to be a part of my children's lives, and be a part of her life. Ana told me she was willing to give me a second chance. I didn't want to lose that chance and not have another. I've been thinking all week about what I should do. I knew that one of you would come eventually. I'd decided to help get her out when the time came. I knew my brother would be against it. I did what I had to do to be welcomed back in my children's lives."

Ana took a shallow breath and sighed against my chest before cuddling in closer.

"Thank you." I said looking down at her for just a moment. "Thank you for helping her."

"You don't have to thank me. I'm happy to know she will be safe again. Did you plan on coming in the house to save her?" Matt asked.

"Do you want the truth?"

"Yeah."

"We had no plan."

"No shit?"

"She walked over to the window and saw us before we had decided what we were going to do. My brothers and I were going to go in through the roof and the others were going to break the windows but there were so many people in the house. Any plan that we might have come up with from there would've been quickly thrown out the window anyway. We knew after she saw us she would make a break for it. I was pretty pissed when we watched Daniel abuse her and could do nothing to stop it."

"I've felt that way for the last week and a half." Matt said. "She tried to run a couple days after she got here. It messed her feet up pretty bad. She hasn't actually walked anywhere in the last week. They told her her feet needed to heal and if she walked on them the cuts could open."

"We will have to check when we stop for the night and see how she's doing. Dante insisted that we let his brother take a look at her anyway. Do you know why Ana was fighting with Daniel?"

"Do you want the truth?" Matt asked.

"Always."

"She's pregnant and Daniel wanted to keep the baby."

"Did she?"

"No. She seemed upset by the idea of having another one."

"Are you sure?"

"I was watching on the cameras. The audio is phenomenal on them." Matt said yawning.

"You can sleep If you want to. We have a long drive ahead of us."

"How long?"

"Seven hours."

"Do you want to switch halfway? I don't mind driving if you need me to."