Chapter 24: Behave

Ana's POV

Drip, drip, drip.
I woke in a cold dark room with a stinging in my shoulder and pounding in my head. The only light came from the bars above a solid wooden door on the opposite side of the room. I could hear the rustling of a chain as I moved to sit up. I looked down to see a large metal cuff on my ankle and my wrists bound by rope. There was a chill in the room, so much so I could see my breath in the air. I took a look around the room. There was nothing to see but the stone walls and floor.
Where was I? How long had I been here? The last thing I remembered was when I was struggling to escape, but they got me and brought me here. Wherever here, was.
Nightmarish images swirled through my head as I laid there in the dark damp room. I was cold, tired, and hungry with a splitting headache and all I could do was think about all the ways I would suffer. I was feeling rather frustrated and a little pissed at how horrible my luck was. This would be the third time I was kidnapped and held against my will. Fear traveled through my body and I did what anyone in my position would do. I started to cry.
The good news, I still had my locket. If Vince was telling the truth he'd be able to find me. But at the moment I was alone and there was no one to save me from the prison I'd been put in to. I just laid there crying, feeling so alone and scared of what my future would bring. I cried because what I thought was the right thing to do, backfired in the worst way I could imagine. I cried because of the pain in my abdomen and in my chest. I cried until I cried myself to sleep.

I awoke when the door opened. A very tall, thin man with wide shoulders came in and set a small plate of food next to me. His brown eyes sparkled in the light.
"Eat." He commanded before walking out of the room leaving the door slightly ajar.
He came back carrying a small stool and a bucket of soapy water which he placed next to the bed and sat down.
He sighed and began speaking with a slight Russian accent, "There are two ways to do this. Eat or I will have to force feed you."
I sat up and looked at the plate. "What is this?"
"Piroshki, it's beef, cabbage, and onion that has been baked in to the center of bread."
I took a bite and he continued.
"My name is Daniel. I'm a doctor. I'll need to check your stitches and tend to any injuries you may have sustained. It is my job to help you heal and keep you well until my boss tells me otherwise. If you need anything, food, medicine, blankets, it has to be cleared through me first and I will be the one bringing them to you. No one else will be allowed in this room without me. I need to examine you and I will be giving you a sponge bath. I'm not going to ask for your permission to touch you. The more you cooperate the quicker this will be and the less new injuries you will sustain. I will try to tell you what I am doing the whole time I am touching you. Do you understand?"
I nodded to him.
"Good, eat first. I will be back in ten minutes to bathe you."
"How long have I been here?" I asked.
"Three weeks."
"I don't remember."
"You've been sedated until two days ago. Eat."
He stood and left the room while I ate. It was difficult because my hands were still tied together but I finished what he'd brought me. When he came back he carried a basket of items. He placed the basket on the end of the bed and took the plate and placed it on the floor just under the bed as he sat down.
"I'm going to bathe you now. If you fight me, I will hurt you. Neither of us want that. Be good to me and I'll be good to you. Everything I give you must be earned. If you don't cooperate I will take things away from you."
"Okay." I said quietly. "I understand."
"I need you to sit on the stool."
"Can you help me stand?"
"I'm going to take the rope off your hands. Remember, if you fight me I will hurt you."
I nodded and held out my hands. Daniel carefully untied the rope and dropped it on the floor. I grabbed his arms and he pulled me to my feet.
"I need to undress you." He said after I was seated.
He grabbed the bottom of my shirt and pulled it up over my head. I wince at a sharp pain in my shoulder as I put my arms up.
"Where does it hurt." He asked.
"My shoulder. Right here." I said placing my hand over the top.
"There is a bruise there from where the sedative was injected. It will be sore for a few days but the pain will go away."
He took a sponge from the bucket and begin washing down my back, moving quickly over my arms. Then he moved over my shoulder to my breasts.
"Breathe." He said walking around to face me. "I'm not going to hurt you. I'm sorry that this is uncomfortable for you."
He slowed down to wash over my stitches so he didn't aggravate them, gently dabbing the sponge to clean them.
"Hands." He said.
I put my hands out to him. He pushed them together and reach in the basket he'd set on the bed, grabbing a much longer rope and tied my hands once again.
"I need to take your pants off. I'm going to take the ankle bracket off. Do not try to run or I will hurt you."
He knelt down and unlocked the ankle cuff. When he looked back up at me I swung my hands at him making contact with his cheek. He fell backward from the force of the blow. I quickly stood, knocking over the stool and ran towards the door that he'd neglected to fully shut.
I didn't make it. Daniel's body slammed against mine just as I reached the door, knocking the wind out of me and closing it completely. I screamed and swung at him. He grabbed the back of my arms hauling me back to the bed. He threw me down on my belly climbing over me and pressed a knee against my back, tying my hands to the bars on the top simultaneously. I struggled against him kicking and trying to turn over. He moved off of me taking hold of my pants and pulled them off along with my underwear. I screamed again. He grabbed my legs forcing them together and tied them tightly at the knees.
"I told you not to fight me." Daniel said angrily. "If I wanted to I could force myself on you and you couldn't stop me."
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I hit you and ran. I won't do it again." I cried.
"No, you won't. I'm going to finish bathing you, I'm going to sedate you, and then I'm going to check your stitches." Daniel said.
I didn't move from where I was. I laid there on my stomach, defeated and let Daniel finish washing me. He untied the rope from my knees after attaching the ankle cuffs to both ankles. Insuring that I was strapped to the bed. He walked to the basket crouching over it. Then he pulled a small bottle out of the basket with a syringe.
"No, no, I'll behave. I promise. Please don't sedate me again."
He took a breath and pursed his lips. Then he dropped everything back in the basket.
"You get one chance." He said standing. "Don't make me regret it."
"Everything you say." I agree.
"Turn." He said.
I cooperated turning to lay on my back. He parted my legs and gently plunged his bare fingers inside me. He moved his fingers around. I assumed to check my stitches.
"Everything is healing the way it should." Daniel said and pushed the basket of clothes and blankets to the opposite side of the room with a single move of his powerful leg. He washed his hand off, dumped the bucket on the floor by a drain, then took it and the stool and set them by the basket before leaving. I laid there staring at the ceiling forever but eventually was bored enough to fall asleep.
I woke when the door opened.

The same man a before came in the room with another plate of something. He untied my hands from the headboard but left them bound together. He sat with me while I ate. Then he left without a word.

Hours when by and he came back. This time he took the stool he'd left and sat in the corner and he just watched me.
As days passed I found he seemed to have a schedule. Breakfast while he brushed my hair and braided it, lunch came with a bath, and after dinner he'd sit in the corner and watch me like a creep. He loosened the restraints so the only thing that strapped me to the bed was a single brace on my ankle.
"Why don't you hardly ever talk to me?" I asked.
"I don't have anything to say." He replied from the corner.
"You don't have to sleep in the corner." I said.
"And where would you have me sleep girl."
"I have a name."
"What is it?" He asked.
"You don't know who I am?"
"No, we just brought you here and they told me to take care of you. Name?" He asked again.
"Ana."
"Well Ana where would you like me to sleep."
"You can sleep next to me."
"Why? So you can grab the keys and take off? I don't think so." He sneered.
"No, I just thought the bed would be warmer and more comfortable than a chair by the wall."
"What's your motive?" He asked accusingly.
"It is so cold."
"Aren't you scared I'd hurt you?"
"You haven't yet." I said. "Let's call it benefit of the doubt."
"If you do anything stupid you'll regret it." He said standing and walked over to the bed.
He laid down next to me,closed his eyes, and sighed.
I turned on my side and put my head on his chest, closing my eyes tight.
"What do you think your doing?" He asked.
"Getting comfortable." I said as my heart pounded hard.
"You have some nerve girl." He chuckled.
He put his arms around me. He was asleep fast. It was nice having him there. I slept better than I had in weeks.