Chapter 15: Trust

Ana's POV

I woke up feeling alert but groggy from the medicine that the doctor gave me. I lay snuggled in to a snoring Vince. The only time I heard him snore is when he took naps. I always thought it was funny. I look up to see Sandro sleeping beside us. He's holding of one of my hands and he snores in time with Vince. I giggle to myself. This isn't the first time I've fallen asleep between them. There were dozens of times when I was a child that I slept between them. Sometimes Dante would replace one of them. But no matter who it was I'd always woke up the same way. Happy and comfortable because I knew I was safe.
I loved watching them sleep. They were both so intimidating and there was a cold, scary, professionalism to them when they were awake. While they slept they looked more like large children trying to cuddle close to their mother who was protecting them from all the skeletons in the closet.
I normally didn't mind sitting there until they woke up, but I needed to pee something fierce. I carefully climbed off the bed and crept quickly to the adjoining bathroom.
I remember more now then I did when I fell asleep. My memory was spotty. I remembered my life but was missing pieces. One thing I was one hundred percent sure of, I don't remember who the father of my unborn child is but I can say that I remember it doesn't belong to Sandro. I'll have to read my journals to figure out who the baby belongs to. I hope I wrote it down or told someone. I could be in for a bit of a mess otherwise. I didn't feel like I was in the bathroom long but I must have lost track of time. The reason for that?
Blood.
Lots of blood.
I couldn't stop the tears. I was half panicking when I heard the knock on the door.
"Ana?" Vince's voice echoed through the door.
"Yeah?" I ask trying to hide my tears.
"Are you okay?"
"Yep I'm fine." I answered quickly.
"Are you sure?"
"I'm okay. I'll be out in a couple minutes." I did my best to hide the panic in my voice.
"You don't sound fine." He answered. "Let me in."
"Vince, I'm busy. Just give me a second."
"If you don't open the door in the next two minutes, I'm going to break it down."
"I just need a minute. I'm okay, really."
"Ninety seconds." Vince said ignoring me.
Ugggh. I do my best to clean up as much of the blood as I can. Then I put a pad in my panties until I can talk to the doctor.
"Thirty seconds." Vince said.
Shit. I pull my clothes back on and went to the door.
"Ten seconds Ana."
I turn the latch and open the door as he begins his count down backward from ten. I fold my arms across my chest. Vince's shoulder is leaned against the door frame and he is balanced on one foot with his hands in his pockets. My eyes meet his as he undresses me. He smirks at me.
"What's wrong?" He asks.
"Nothing. I'm fine."
"I don't believe you. Why were you crying?"
"I wasn't. I'm fine."
"Come on Ana. I can see it on your face. Don't lie to me, I know you to well."
"I'm not lying."
Vince scans the bathroom behind me. He furrows his eyebrows and looks back at me.
"Where are you bleeding?" He asks.
My eyes fall to my stomach as I look down. How did he know? I chew on my lip not wanting to answer. Vince brings his hands up to my shoulders and holds me firmly.
"Ana, please. I need you to trust me. Please talk to me so I can help you." Vince begs as he lets his hands fall slightly so he can rub up and down my arms. "I won't hurt you Piccola. Tell me what's wrong. Is it the baby?"
I nod and begin to cry again but continue to look at the floor. Vince steps toward me to wrap me in his arms.
"No. I'm fine." I said placing my hands on his chest and pressing to get him to take a step back.
"Come on Ana." He said pulling me closer as tears stream down my face.
I surrender and turn my head and lay it against his shoulder. I slowly wrap my arms around him as I cry.
"Shh, it's okay Piccola. Let it out love."
"I'm so scared Vinny." I said as I sob against him. "I don't remember what to do."
"It's okay baby. I'm going to help you. Let me take care of you. We can talk to the doctor and then I'll take you to Sergio's and you can relax for a while. We can feed you while you read your journal and get you comfortable. How does that sound? Good, yeah?"
I nod and give him a small smile. "Yeah."
"Come on love, let's go find the doctor."
I walk slowly with Vince out of the bedroom glancing at my sleeping husband over his shoulder as we leave the room. We walk down the hall to the stairs that lead down to the den. He wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me close as he hums the melody of the song he used to sing to me when it was stormy outside.
"You really are my Vincenzo aren't you?" I ask as we reach the bottom of the stairs.
"Yes Piccola. I'm your Vincenzo, forever and always. No matter what." He said stopping and pressed his hand to my cheek. "Do you want more proof?"
"I don't think I need more." I reply.
Vince smiles at me and pushes my shirt aside so I can see my tattoo. Then he unbuttons his shirt to show me he has the same one.
"Your heart is always with me just as mine is with you. Siamo un'anima, io e te. Forever."
(We are one sole, you and I.)
"Did you just quote your sappy song?"
"Yes. I only sing it to you because it's true. When I'm not with you I miss you more than ever. I think about you in the morning and the evening. I dream about you. If I could paint your face across the sky I would, because you are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. The world deserves to reveal in your beauty."
I smile at him and I feel my face grow incredibly hot. I know I'm blushing. I try not to but I can't help it. I giggle and brush my hair behind my ears. I smile as I bite my lip and look at the floor.
"Your a sappy romantic." I say shyly.
"No, I'm Italian."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"If you'd like me to compare your beauty to Mona Lisa I couldn't do it, you are far more beautiful."
"That was sappy as fuck." I giggle.
"Not nearly as sappy as my pick up lines."
"What do you say when your flirting with other girls?"
"There's nobody for me but you."
"Seriously?" I ask.
"I'm lost, could you show me where you live."
I laugh. "That can't actually work."
"It does, but if it's during the day I'd say... Your voice is beautiful. Why don't we go get some coffee and melt the ice."
"Wow, look at you Mr. professional charmer."
"Baby please. If I wanted to I could have any one I wanted. Women are lined up waiting to get a piece of me." Vince winks at me and gives me his charmers smile. "And I do get what I want."
"You've gotten really cocky in your old age." I giggle.
"That's why ladies love me."
"What the fuck am I supposed to say to that?" I ask.
"Don't speak. Words could never express how perfect you are making this moment."
"You lay it on thick." I laugh.
"Your making this too easy Ana. There is another joke but I'm not going there. Look at how embarrassed you are. It's a good look on you. I like knowing I can excite you this way.
"Christ, you need to stop." I laugh.
"If you need a minute you should look in a mirror. With a face like that I'm sure you could stop time." Vince smiles.
I laugh at the corniness of what's being said. Vince definitely could pick up any girl he wanted.
"You are just too much." I shake my head.
Vince smirks. "Your not the only one who has said that."
"Oh god. Vince, please."
He laughs as we continue to walk down the hallways.
"Again your not the only one to say that."
"I'm so done with you right now." I smile. "How have you gotten this far in life without being in a serious relationship?"
"That's easy. I wanted to be with you so I didn't need anything serious. One day you will be mine, but I know I'll have to wait if I want you. Whoever I'm with at that point will understand how I feel about you. She will know that you could replace her at any moment."
"Your going to make her loath me."
"I would never be with someone who hated you." Vince replies.
"I don't think that could be true."
"Ana you mean more to me than any other woman ever could. I love you because of all of the things you are. You deserve so much love you could drown in it."
I cuddle in to Vince as we begin to walk through the house again. I missed having him around. He's always made me feel special even when I didn't deserve too feel that way.