Chapter 60: When I say

After some convincing I got Vince to get up. I helped him walk into the kitchen so he could eat. He didn't make it that far. As soon as we got through the door Vince said something he's never said to me before.

"My god, Ana I'm gonna puke."

He breath smelled sour.

"Sink, go to the sink." I said thinking as fast as I could.

He barely made it to the sink before he puked up the contents of his stomach. He pressed his shoulder blades together and hung his head. Never in my life had I watched Vince be sick or even hungover. This was a new experience that I didn't necessarily want. He leaned over the sink coughing and gagging. I held his bicep and rubbed his back gently, but I couldn't watch and the smell was terrible.

"What can I do to help?" I asked trying not to let him know I was gag and moments away from losing my breakfast.

"Water." He said.

I flipped the tap on and let it run in the sink in front of him. I reached around him to a cupboard and pulled out an empty glass. I sat on the counter next to the sink. He took the glass from me filling it full and drinking it quickly. It took less then five seconds for the water to come back out of Vince along with some other disgustingness.

"Vince you need to drink it slow." I said closing my eyes and turning away gaging.

"You don't have to stand here with me Ana. Don't let me make you sick."

"I'm sorry. Puke doesn't normally bug me but the smell is turning my stomach."

Vince puked again.

"I'm sorry Piccola."

"What can I do Vinny?"

"Nothing Ana. I'm going to puke until I get the alcohol out of my system. I deserved this for treating you like I did. Go do something else. You shouldn't have to watch this."

"No. I'm not leaving." I say and gag again. "I'm staying with you."

"Why would you want to stay and make yourself sick?"

"You sat with me every time I told you I was sick. You sat with me when I was hung over and throwing up. You sat with me through all of my morning sickness with Luca. The least I can do is sit with you the one time in 30 years that I've ever seen you be sick."

Vince rinsed his mouth out and laid his head on my leg. His face was pale. He had bags under his eyes and he had a slight temperature. I could see on his face how he felt.

"We can't leave with you like this. You need to sleep this off Vince." I said.

"It's a hangover. I'll be fine. Someone else can drive and I can sleep in the backseat."

"He can sleep in the back of my car." Sergio said. "Who's going to drive his home?"

"Let Matt take it." I said. "He's more than capable of getting it there in one piece."

"He doesn't get to take my car alone." Vince said.

"I'll go with him." I say.

"I don't like that idea." Vince said. "I don't trust him."

"It will be okay." I say. "Do you want to eat anything before we leave? It's about four hours or so until we get home. We should be there before lunch."

"Crackers and water." Vince said turning and burying his face between my thighs.

I tensed slightly as he pressed his face down. He felt me tense and stood back up.