57: CHRONICLES OF COCO (PART 13)

Why do we fear death?

Why do we fear the end?

Why do we dread our last breath?

What was this immense fear about passing that can cause anyone to scamper and hide to keep their lives safe?

What were we so afraid of?

Were we afraid of vanishing because of the fear of abandoning the people we love without knowing how they'll fend for themselves once we pass? Were we afraid of death because of the torment and sorrow that we'll go through before meeting with our definite end? Was it because death was related to blood-smeared weapons, widespread plagues, and heedless criminals that we cannot symbolize death with anything mesmerizing?

There were many reasons for such perturbation but perhaps the fear of not knowing what was beyond death and the sense of powerlessness against the unknown were the primary reasons. Who knew that the unknown can be such a nightmare? It can mess up one's mind and raise someone's expectation to an extent of collapse. It was the best tool to torment a mind full of questions.

"Corlos, they're coming!" Kogen exclaimed.

I opened my eyes and let a breath escape from my lips before standing up from the rock protruding from the sand. I tossed my Zeke up and down my palm and clutched my slim sword in my other hand.

Sharp screeches and booming growls from the land and from the skies resonated from afar. They covered each end of the visible horizon creating whirling dusts carpeting their intense arrival. The skies darkened from their storm-cloud appearance and just ahead of the charging creatures was the newly armed Guta glowing with sacred power.

The ends of my lips curled mischievously and I took steady and restrained steps forward.

Guta did not disappoint.

"You don't have to do anything," I told Kogen.

Anyone who'll help me will only get in my way. I want to be the one who'll rip them open and release the fluids that made their bodies function. No one else was better suited for this job. Only I can end their meaningless lives. They were begging for their deaths.

"What are you saying? Are you seeing what I'm seeing Corlos because I know for a fact that you aren't blind!" he protested.

"I don't want you to do anything," I simply told him. "Just stay there, sit tight, and comb your hair. Not a single animal will get past that rock, "I assured.

I wasn't being arrogant. I wasn't trying to prove anything. I wasn't being a show-off.

I just knew that I didn't need Kogen's help.

"You can't do this alone," Kogen pushed on as the creatures charged towards us.

"I don't need you in this war so save your energy for later when we finally deal with Esgard. You'll be more useful there."

"I don't know if I should be offended or be touched by your words however I am suddenly craving to stab a certain pocket-size God who seems to be so full of himself," Kogen muttered before sitting down on the rock and crossing his legs with a pout.

I slightly turned my head to look at the upset God and sniggered at him. "Don't ever belittle me."

A surge of strong zephyr swished in every direction around me and it may seem like I was merely standing in place but in truth, I was already gyrating to hurl my Zeke towards my opponent.

My Zeke soared across the desert creating a blazing fire that formed into a meteor-like structure and engulfed a massive scope in inferno.

Sandworms which dove up into the air and drilled back down into the sand were my first targets. I sprinted towards the army of monsters and animals and focused my eyes on the movement of the sandworms which were the front line.