Chapter 5

Meryl never really could go back to sleep after Don's nightmare; she tried, but her mind was just racing as she held him close. What else did she miss? Yes, she had still been sharing a bed with her husband the past weeks, but she obviously tried to stay to her side if she didn't even know that he was having nightmares. She never ONCE fell out of love or had hard feelings toward him during their difficult period; if anything, it was because she loved him so desperately that she pushed him away. Which she was so incredibly angry at herself about; still. She didn't know he was having NIGHTLY nightmares. This was only months after he almost died NUMEROUS times saving her, Henry and William. First, he almost died after Mann bashed his head into the cement wall and crushed his windpipe and he had to have brain surgery; then he almost died again saving her when Mann shot him. The doctor warned that even though he was doing so well; that it could be a year until he was fully healed. She couldn't help but wonder what the stress of losing William, her pushing him away and then these nightmares had done to his recovery. She would NEVER forgive herself if something happened to him; and if she missed it because she was so self-involved. When it became clear that she wasn't going to fall back asleep, she tenderly kissed his head and got out of bed. "You're going to be okay, Don Man; I'm going to make damn sure of it."

***
Don stirred when he heard Meryl moving around in their room; he couldn't believe it when he looked at the alarm clock on his bedside table and saw that it was so early. He was surprised when he sat up and saw her packing clothes; he watched long enough to see that she was packing both of their things. "Mer? What's going on?" He tried not to freak out, but he was. "I thought we were okay."

"We are, baby; better than ever." Meryl quickly sat down their things and climbed into bed next to him; gently kissing his lips as she held his head in her hands. "I want to make sure my husband is okay; that's what's going on."

Don was still tired, and he obviously wasn't following his wife's train of thoughts very well. "Baby, what are you talking about?"

"I missed that you were having NIGHTLY nightmares, Don Man." Meryl shook her head as she tried to blink past the tears. "Who knows what else I missed because I was so damn self-absorbed. I need to make sure you're okay. If something were wrong with you and I missed it then I would never forgive myself."

Don sighed as he laced his fingers through hers; THAT is what was bothering her. She thought he was sick and she missed it. "Sweetheart, I am absolutely fine. I feel great."

"Don, how many damn surgeries have you had in the past 6 months?" Meryl asked him, shaking her head as all of his many surgeries were being replayed in her mind. "Between your father and Mann. You're having nightly nightmares. I have been absolutely awful to you. We lost a baby. You've been shot. You've had brain surgeries. You've had a crushed windpipe. I am so mad at myself that it has taken me this long to..."

Don cut off what she was saying by pressing his lips to hers until she stopped talking. "Now that I have your attention..."

"You always do." Meryl winked at him; feeling a little better after that kiss. "Especially when my handsome, and irresistible I might add, husband kisses me like that."

Don pressed his finger to her lips. "Sweetheart, I am fine. Dr. Abbott released me months ago." He laughed as she started to talk again, and interrupted what she was about to say. "And yes, I know he said it could take a year to completely heal. Every day I feel better. I assume you were packing us up to go back to the city so Hal could check me out?"

"How?" Meryl laughed at her husband; that he knew exactly what she was up to when he woke up. "Because you're you; that's how you know what I was thinking, what I was doing."

Don nodded as he ran his fingers through her hair. "Because you're my girl; and I know you better than anyone and anything. I also know that you are beating yourself up because of these past weeks; and I am begging you not to do that, sweetheart. Even through our grief, yes, OUR grief, you have taken great care of me. Not letting me, or anyone else cook for us even as you were physically healing, and making us amazing organic meals. Reminding me to take medicines. Monitoring my beer intake; making sure I was eating enough fruits and vegetables. Baby, even in your sleep you take AMAZING care of me, Henry and our family."