Chapter 44

The next few weeks were busy for the Gummers. Don and Meryl concentrated on getting Don's studio in their new apartment building ready since they got situated in their new loft apartment so quickly. Meryl had a table reading for Sophie's Choice and while she was excited to get back to work; she was also nervous as it was the first time she would be returning to work since the nightmare of Kevin Mann and losing William and all of the aftermaths she and Don experienced from that. Don was excited for Meryl that she was getting back to acting knowing how it fed her soul, just as painting and sculpting fed him, but he was still scared. Slowly he and Meryl were doing more and more things separately as they knew it was important in their healing process and getting their lives back, but it was still incredibly difficult for both of them. When Meryl wasn't working on her Polish and Don wasn't sculpting, they were trying to spend as much time with each other and Henry as possible. They spent the weeks leading up to Meryl's return to work talking to Henry about it and preparing him. Don had signed up for a Mommy and Me class to do with Liz and Suzie when Meryl returned to work, including the first day. They both thought it would help Henry; secretly, Don hoped it would provide a distraction for him as well so he wouldn't drive himself crazy worrying about Meryl, but he knew that probably wouldn't happen. Soon, it was Meryl's first day at the set in Brooklyn.

***

Don had just cleaned up the breakfast dishes so Meryl could play with Henry for a little bit before heading to the set in Brooklyn. He was so grateful that most of the movie would be shot in and around Brooklyn, and just parts would be done in Croatia, and that he and Henry would be traveling with her to Croatia. He couldn't imagine them being separated while she filmed in Croatia, especially after everything that happened and he even had some jobs lined up for himself when they were there. Don looked up at the clock in the kitchen and sighed, he knew it was time for Meryl to leave. They had made such progress in their healing, and he knew her taking this step was so important, but he was terrified; he also knew this was an important step for him as well. He smiled as he walked out into the living room and saw Meryl and Henry building with blocks. "Baby, you better get going if you're going to make it to Brooklyn in time."

"Yeah." Meryl breathed as she lifted Henry's chin. "Gippy, it's time for Mommy go to work now. I will be home tonight and we're going to have one of your favorites-chicken and rice."

Don smiled at how Meryl prepared for going back to work by making all kinds of meals for them. He would have happily cooked their suppers so she didn't have to, but she was a much better cook than him, and by her not having to cook when she got home meant more time they could spend together as a family. "Your favorite. You and Daddy are going to spend the day together; maybe we'll even have macaroni and cheese with hot dogs for lunch."

"No wonder you're his favorite." Meryl winked at him, though she knew that wasn't true. Most boys were mama's boys, but Henry was definitely a mama and daddy's boy. Meryl then turned her attention back to Henry. "Later this morning you get to go play with some other little boys and girls; including Suzie."

"Me like Soo." Henry's lips started to tremble. "Tiss you, Mama."

Meryl was trying so hard to blink past tears as she held Henry close to her and rocked him back and forth, placing kiss after kiss on top of his head. "Oh angel, Mama is going to miss you so much."

"We're going to have lots of fun, Bubs." Don's heart was breaking as well. "Before we know it, Mama will be home."

Meryl nodded as she kissed Henry's cheek. "That's right; and then Mama and Daddy will read to you, bathe you and put you down together."

"Henry, stay in here and play with your blocks while I walk Mama to the elevator." Don told their son. "Okay?"

Henry wrapped his little arms around Meryl's neck and kissed her cheek. "Wub, Mama."