Chapter 41

Don stirred awake a few hours after he and Meryl fell asleep once they talked to Henry, feeling happy and at peace. He looked down and saw that Meryl was still cuddled up to his side sleeping with a peaceful smile on his face and that made him truly happy and at peace himself, along with thinking of how happy Henry was when they talked to him hours earlier. Don felt like he was wide awake, and he knew that was partly because he felt relief in that he didn't completely mess up his anniversary; and that he and Meryl shared an amazing night together. He wanted to continue to pamper and take care of her, so he decided to channel his energy in unpacking some more boxes and clean up from the night before. With a kiss to her head, he got out of bed, threw on his pajama pants that she had already unpacked for him and went to work at surprising his wife some more.

***

Meryl stirred awake when she felt a draft and moved to snuggle up to her husband, just as she always did when she was cold and was disappointed that he was no longer in bed next to her. She got out of bed, throwing on one of his long sleeve t-shirts that came almost to her knees and went in search of her husband. Once she got closer to the stairs, she heard a noise downstairs and smiled as she looked over the railing of the upstairs open loft area and saw him downstairs unpacking. She smiled as she walked down the stairs. "You left me."

"Hey, baby." Don said kissing her as she walked closer to him. "I hope I didn't wake you up. I was really trying to be quiet."

Meryl smiled with a shake of her head as she looked around and then laid her head on his shoulder. "I was cold."

"Of course." Don laughed with a kiss to her head. "Is that all I'm good for? Keeping you warm?"

Meryl threw her head back with a laugh as she wrapped her arms around his neck, and pressed her forehead to his. "You are good for EVERYTHING, my love."

"I'm glad to hear it." Don winked as he wrapped his arms around her waist. "I woke up all excited about this new beginning for us, and you were so beautiful while you were sleeping that I watched you for a bit and wanted to do something nice for you. So, I decided to come down here and clean up our dinner mess and start unpacking. I wanted to surprise you."

Meryl didn't think it would be possible, but she loved her husband even more at that moment. "I love you for that, so much. You really have done a lot, which I greatly appreciate, but now I want you to come upstairs and to bed. All of this will be here when we wake up. Why unpack at 3 am when you could be in bed holding your wife?"

"I love the way you think, Mrs. Gummer." Don said as he scooped her up in his arms causing her to squeal in delight. "I'm taking you back to bed."

***

"Now, this is much better." Meryl said cuddling up to Don once they were back in bed and under the covers. She looked up at him as she placed her chin on his chest and ran her fingers through his hair. "Thank you for an amazing anniversary, baby. I can't tell you how much it meant to me."

Hearing her say that melted Don's heart; he was so glad he could redeem himself and show his wife how important she was to him and how much he did love her. "Believe me, baby, when I say it was my pleasure."

"And mine." Meryl winked at him as she tenderly kissed his lips. "I felt something when we were making love."

Don smirked at her as he ran his hands down her back, cupping her ass, and pulling her even closer to his body if that were even possible. "I'm glad, that was sort of the goal; and I sure felt it as well."

"Not that." Meryl giggled. "Well, yeah, I mean that; but I felt something even more. Do you think we made a baby? How amazing would that be if we created a baby from our love on our anniversary?"