Chapter 53

The next week went by quickly with Meryl and the crew filming as much as they could in Brooklyn before the holidays. There was still some funding issues with the film, so shooting was off and on. Meryl knew it would be a longer shoot because of that, and eventually traveling to Poland. She was just glad this on and off filming schedule happened while she, Don and Henry were still in the US and at their home; rather than halfway around the world. When she wasn't shooting she continued to work on her lines and her Polish accent while Don worked and Henry slept. When Henry was awake she told Don to stay in the studio, since he wasn't able to do that when she was working. She was so grateful at how supportive he was of her in her career, and she was always glad she could do the same for him. Before they knew it, it was time for Henry's 2nd birthday.

***

It was early in the morning on Friday, November 13th, Henry's birthday. Meryl woke up when she felt something between her legs, something she didn't want to feel. Tears immediately came to her eyes when she took inventory with how she was feeling; and when she realized exactly what was going on. She carefully got out of bed and went to the bathroom, hoping she didn't wake Don. She couldn't even bring herself to look at her husband, she knew if she did then her heart would break even more than it was already breaking.

***

Don woke up when he felt a draft in the bedroom. He noticed the time on his alarm clock on his bedside table, noticing that it wasn't even 3 am yet. When he went to cuddle up to his wife's body, he was disappointed that she wasn't there in bed next to him. He reached over to turn on the lamp on her bedside table, shocked to see blood staining the sheets. He sat up and began to worry. He noticed the door to the bathroom was closed, and the light was streaming out from under it. He immediately went over to the door, and immediately heard Meryl crying. He didn't even bother to knock, he was too worried about his wife. He immediately opened the door to find his wife sitting on the floor, with her back against the bathroom cabinets, crying. Don immediately went over to her and cupped her face in his hands. "Baby, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Damn it." Meryl cursed when she realized her husband was awake, and she could see in his eyes just how worried he was about her. "I'm sorry, baby, the last thing I wanted was to wake you up."

Don shook his head as he reached for the box of Kleenex, pulling out several sheets and drying her tears. "You didn't. I just missed you next to me. Baby, what's wrong? Come on, Darl, talk to me. I am worried sick."

"Don't be." Meryl didn't really want to talk about this now, but she didn't know how she was going to get out of this. "I'm fine, really, nothing to worry about. I just overreacted."

Don knew that wasn't the case, and he wasn't going to let up until she told him exactly what was happening. "Baby, I am pretty sure you aren't overreacting. Not when I find blood where your body should be."

"Shit!" Meryl tried to get up. "I changed and cleaned up, but I better change the sheets. Just give me a few minutes and you can go back to bed." Meryl was shocked that Don scooped her up in his arms and carried her to the overstuffed chair in the corner of the room sitting with her on his lap. "What are you doing?"

Don wiped away her tears. "I love you. I love you more than I thought it was possible to ever love another human being. You are everything to me. Baby, what's going on?"

"I love you too, so damn much, and Henry." Meryl cried harder. "That's why this is so hard. That's why this hurts so much."

It was beginning to dawn on Don what was going on. She was fine when they went to bed. He was then doing the math in his head. "Sweetheart, did you get your period?"

"Yeah." Meryl nodded as the tears streamed down her face. "I woke up to a gush between my legs, then when I took note of how I was feeling I knew what was going on. The last thing I wanted was to wake you up so I went into the bathroom to take care of things, not even thinking about the sheets. I'm sorry."