Chapter 39

The next several weeks went by quickly with Don and Meryl selling their apartment and preparing to move into their new loft along with moving Don's home studio into his new studio in their new apartment building. Dr. Abbott said that Meryl's levels still weren't where he wanted them and had yet to release her from medical care; which meant Don was as protective of her as ever. He convinced her to let him hire movers, but she also wanted to help pack up their apartment as felt it was important in their healing. The hardest part was packing up the nursery that was meant for William. Even though they were glad that they were able to give the things to Maeve and Third for their baby that would be born in the next 2 months, it was still difficult for them; though they both told each other how glad they were that they were doing it together. They also spent time with Henry helping him pack up his room. Liz had told them that it would be important for Henry to do that so he could say goodbye to his home and his room; though the apartment held such bad memories for Henry who wasn't even 2 years old yet, as well as his parents. Soon, it was moving day.

***

"Thank you so much for everything." Don said to the movers as he walked them out of the apartment building. He was glad that he paid extra for them to put together and set up their furniture, so all he and Meryl had to do was unpack everything. He knew Meryl worked on Henry's first so it would be ready for him as soon as he got home from his Uncle Third and Aunt Maeve's house. Since Maeve couldn't help due to her pregnancy she had offered to keep Henry while Third helped. Don and Meryl convinced Harry and Marry not to change vacation plans they had made in order to help them move; as they both felt that her parents had helped them so much already. Dana was busy working, so Don was incredibly grateful for Third's help as they didn't want Liz to help since she was also due to have at any time and Larry was working. "You processed everything on our credit card?"

The mover nodded his hand as he handed Don a clipboard with papers on it. "Yes, Mr. Gummer, I just need you to sign right here; and then date here."

"Sure." Don said signing his name and looked up at the mover. "My head is everywhere lately, what's today's date?"

The mover couldn't help but laugh. "It's September 30th."

"What?" Don asked in shock. He couldn't believe it. He knew he had been incredibly busy, but he couldn't believe he had completely forgotten his anniversary especially with everything they had gone through in the past year. "It's September 30th?"

The mover nodded as noticed Don's face had drained white. "Yes, sir. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, thank you." Don started to think back to the last few days and how quiet and withdrawn Meryl had been. He thought she was just having a hard time with the move, but now he knew it was because he had forgotten their anniversary. He shook his head at himself as he handed the movers fists full of bills. "Thank you again for everything. Take care." Don watched them drive away and sat down on the steps of their building with his head in his hands. "How am I gonna fix this one?"

***

"Hey, buddy." Third said walking outside and seeing his brother-in-law with his head in his hands. "You okay?"

Don shook his head as he looked at Third. "No, I fucked up big time. Third, I forgot our anniversary. 3 years, today. And after everything your sister has been through this year."

"Well..." Third sighed as he sat down next to Don. "She finally said something to you?"

Don's heart sank even further. "No, I figured it out when the mover told me today's date. I can't believe I forgot. She said something to you?"

"I asked her if you all had plans and she said she thought with everything going on that you had forgotten." Third explained. "I tried to tell her to say something to you, but she didn't want to upset you. She knows how hard you have been working these last weeks not only on the move but on taking care of her and Henry and making Sigourney didn't get to them."