Chapter 72

The rest of the night went well. At one point, Henry tried to get out of bed which didn't go well because of his IV. Luckily, Don and Meryl were awake and saw what was happening so they were able to stop him. They spoke to his new nurse Cassie, who was MUCH better than the other one they had earlier in the day, and she said it was fine if they had Henry sleep in the queen size hospital bed with them, as long as they both slept on Henry's side that didn't have the IV so they could have access when they needed to and also so they didn't run the risk of hurting Henry. The next morning was going well. Henry had eaten some jello, and thankfully he kept that down. However, now that Henry was starting to feel better, Don and Meryl now had a new challenge...trying to keep him calm and not moving too much. This task proved to be quite difficult.

***

It was mid-morning and Meryl was absolutely exhausted. She knew Don was as well as they, of course, didn't sleep very well at the hospital the night before. Not only could they not get comfortable, and nurses kept checking on Henry all throughout the night to which they were very grateful for, but they were also so worried about Henry that neither rested much. At one point Don went to get get in the recliner to give Meryl and Henry note room in the bed, but Meryl wanted him in the bed as well so he could rest. Though that really didn't happen for either parent. Meryl was trying to keep Henry still while Don went to grab some of their things from Larry downstairs in the lobby. Dr. Abbott still wanted limited visitors to Henry because he was afraid it would get him excited, and as much as they knew their family wanted to see Henry, they were saying no visitors. They were grateful to Larry who brought them some clothes and other necessities from their apartment. Meryl sighed thinking her husband hadn't been gone that long but it felt like forever. Henry kept squirming. "Gippy, you need to lay down, sweetheart."

"Me to twied, Mama." Henry was twisting and turning until he twisted too much and that caused him pain where his incision was. "Hoot, Mommy."

Meryl couldn't be upset with Henry, he was just a little boy who had no idea what was going on. "I know, baby, that's why Daddy and I want you to lay still. The more you move, the more you hurt; and Daddy and I don't want our Henry boy to hurt."

"Hoe, Mama." Henry gave his mother one of the saddest looks she had ever seen. "Me no wike here. Me woom."

Meryl sighed as the ran her fingers through her son's hair. She wanted her son to be able to go home, she wanted him in his own room, in his own bed. This was not the way she wanted him to spend his third Thanksgiving, especially after last Thanksgiving weekend was spent with Don fighting for his life. "I know, Bubs, I wish you could be in your room."

"Me bwad woy?" Henry asked his mother. "Me twouble?"

Meryl didn't know that her husband had walked in at this time, she was too concerned with her son and making sure he was okay, and thinking about what he asked her. It literally broke her heart in two that he thought he was being punished. She carefully took him in her arms as she sat beside him in his hospital bed, rocked him back and forth and kissed his head over and over. "You are such a good boy, Henry Wolfe. You are not in trouble, baby. Unfortunately, something in your tummy hurt and you had to have surgery to make it feel better which still makes you hurt. That is why Daddy and I want you to stay here so nurse Carrie and Dr. Abbott can make our Hen man all better. I know it's not any fun, sweetheart, we just want you all better so we can take you home. You have not been bad, not at all, Bubs. Daddy and I love you so so so much, and you are such a good boy who makes us laugh and smile."

"You are the best boy in the whole world." Don said setting the bags down and making his way over to his wife and son, using the word Henry often used. "Your mommy is right, we love you more than anything."