Chapter 26

Don was pacing back and forth in his jail cell. He couldn't believe he was locked up while someone was after his wife and possibly his son as well. He had to get out of there in order to find out who obviously tried to poison his wife on purpose. More than anything he just needed to know how his wife was doing. He thought he would throw up again at the thought of her being gone from them forever. He, of course, wanted to find out who in the hell did this to her; but more importantly, he needed to make sure she was okay. "Damn it, I have to get the fuck out of here."

"That's why I'm here." Larry said walking up to Don's jail cell. "Want to go see your wife?"

Don immediately ran over to the bars and held onto them. "Am I out on bail or something?"

"You can't be out on bail when the charges have been dropped." Larry smiled. "They have NOTHING to hold you on, brother."

Don leaned his head forward against the bars as he cried. "They believe I didn't do it."

"I'll explain in the car." Larry said waiting for the officer to unlock Don's jail cell. "They finally pulled their heads out of their asses. You would never hurt Meryl for anything in this whole world. You're not some degenerate husband. It took everything in me to keep Meryl in her hospital bed and not come down here to knock some sense into them."

Don's eyes lit up as he laughed and cried at the same time. "She's awake? She's okay?"

"She's awake, but was pretty distraught when she found out you were down here and her heart rate got pretty high. Lizzie's sister is with the kids, and Lizzie and Hal are with Meryl. She was insistent I get down here to get you out." Larry said. "She doesn't believe this is your fault, Don; not for one minute. She even said the writing on the note wasn't yours and it didn't quite sound like you in the note. She is just as worried about you as you are about her."

A police officer unlocked the cell. "Mr. Gummer, we need you to sign for your things before you leave."

"Whatever." Don shook his head as he practically ran through the police station. "Just get me to my wife."

***

Meryl was looking up at the clock in her hospital room once they moved her to a more permanent room and was twirling her wedding ring. "Do you think he's okay? How can they seriously think they have anything to hold him on? I need to get down there and make a statement so they will release him."

"M, the best thing you can do for Don and Henry is to stay in this bed and get well." Liz said as she gently pushed Meryl back down in the bed. "You know how these things are, nothing happens quickly. Larry isn't going to let Don stay in there. He didn't do this pure and simple, and they seriously can't think they have substantial proof in which to hold him."

Meryl nodded as she wiped her tears away. "I just really need to hear his voice and know that he's okay."

"I'm fine, baby." Don choked as he walked into her room. "Well, now that I see you."

Liz left the room when she saw Larry standing at the door and motioning to her as Meryl opened her arms up for Don. "Don Man."

"Hey, baby." Don cried as he ran over to her, sitting on her bed facing her, and placing kisses all over her face. "Thank God you're okay."

Meryl held onto him tightly. "Thanks to the love of my life; you saved me twice today, Don Man. How can they ever think that..."

"Shhhh...." Don whispered as he crushed his lips to hers, running his fingers through her hair. "I just need to look at you right now. When they arrested me and you were flatlining I thought I would never hold or kiss you ever..."