Chapter 19

As if they knew the other was waking up, and not wanting to miss out on anything, both Suzie and Henry woke up at the same time. As per usual, Henry was ready to play as soon as he woke up. "Soo pway!"

"Unca Dwan? Aunt Mawa?" Suzie looked around and didn't see who she was looking for. "Mommy? Daddy?"

Henry patted Suzie's back as she was upset in an effort to calm her down. "It okay, Soo. No bwad man. On...On..."

"Kay..." Suzie nodded as she got off the bed and Henry took her hand. "Where going, Hen?"

***

After showering together and getting dressed, Don and Meryl went to relax out on the sofa while the kids were sleeping in the bed. They had talked about plans for the rest of the day including going to the hospital, spending time with the Browns and some things they wanted to visit with Liz and Larry about. It didn't take long for them to drift off after barely having any sleep the night before. They were laying in each other's arms when two exuberant toddlers came running in. "Daddy! Mommy! Pway!"

"What the...!" Don exclaimed when Henry excitedly hit his lap over and over but in a very delicate place. "M, what the..."

Meryl quickly woke up and slapped her hand over her husband's mouth as they both awoke and sit up. "Baby, it wasn't me. I'm gentle with that area. It was your son."

"Up! Up!" Henry was babbling excitedly. "Pway."

Meryl laughed as she rubbed Don's back as he was breathing through the pain, and she whispered in his ear. "I'll check it later, and we'll make sure nothing is broken."

"It better as hell not be." Don said through gritted teeth, making his wife laugh; but he soon saw the worried look on Suzie's face. Once the pain subsided a bit more he reached down to pick her up and sat her beside them on the sofa, as Meryl did the same thing with Henry. "I'm okay, Suzie girl. Did you two have a nice nap?"

Henry nodded his head excitedly. "We pay, pwease."

"I think we need to give Daddy a few more minutes." Meryl tried not to laugh at how pale her husband was. "Why don't you two go get your shoes and bring them to me?"

Suzie's little lip quivered as she shook her head. "Mama? Daddy?"

"They are missing you so much, sweetheart." Meryl kissed her goddaughter's cheek. "We are going to go see them."

Suzie grabbed Henry's hand as they ran off to the bedroom. "Leth go, Hen!"

"You okay, baby?" Meryl asked as she gently rubbed him between the legs. "I'm sure I can get it working again."

Don couldn't help but smirk at her comment as he tenderly kissed her lips. "Oh baby, I know you can. Yeah, I'm fine. We really need to teach him not to do that."

"That boy wakes up too happy." Meryl laughed as Don agreed. "I guess we are now awake; thanks for the nap."

Don smiled as the kids came running in with their shoes just as they were told. "It's my pleasure; come on, let's take this pretty girl to see her mommy and daddy."

***

Don was holding Suzie's hand, while Meryl was holding Henry's, and they made their way into the waiting room on Mike and Maggie's floor. Don took a look around and then looked at his wife. "They all must be in Mike and Mags' room."

"I doubt we can take the kids back, yet; with him just off the ventilator." Meryl said quietly, even though she knew Suzie didn't understand what she was saying, she didn't want to upset the little girl even more than she already was."Baby, why don't you go in and check on them and visit? I'll stay out here with the kids, in case they aren't allowed back there. And the thought of our energetic boy around those machines makes me nervous."