Chapter 78

The next week and a half flew by pretty quickly. Thankfully, Don and Meryl hadn't heard anything from Jane after what happened with his birthday and that was just how they wanted it. They had a great time decorating their loft for Christmas with Henry and doing all of the Christmas preparations with him. Both Don and Meryl had commented on how much more fun Christmas was when they saw the holiday through the eyes of their son. They were busy not only preparing their home for Christmas, but also getting everything ready to go out to her parents in Connecticut for Christmas. Meryl had asked Don if it was silly that they were decorating the loft for Christmas seeing as though they won't even be there the day of, he reminded her it was a whole season, and it was more than worth all the hard work when they saw how happy and excited it made Henry. Not only were they busy with Christmas decorations, but Don was working when he could and Meryl was working on her Polish when Henry was resting so that Don could work. Both Don and Meryl were glad that they would be traveling as a family to Europe when Meryl went after the new year for filming Sophie's Choice. Things were actually happy and drama-free in the Gummers' lives, which was exactly how they wanted it to stay.

***

It was Wednesday, December 23rd and Don and Meryl were preparing for a night out, ALONE, to celebrate Don's birthday. Don told her they didn't make a big deal out of it, they could just go to the Billy Joel concert with the tickets she got them for his birthday; but she told him they were going to make a night of it. He wasn't going to complain, seeing as though he loved any reason to have a date night out with his gorgeous wife, and this was no exception. Don was in Henry's bedroom putting his pajamas on. "Here we go, Bubs."

"Hanthom, Daddy." Henry smiled at his father as he gave him a thumbs up. "Wook dood!"

Don laughed at his son telling him he looked good. He looked down and didn't think he was wearing anything too special, after all, he and Meryl were going to Madison Square Garden to hear Billy Joel. He was wearing his wife's favorite jeans of his, black boots, a gray and blue plaid shirt with a blue v-neck cashmere sweater over it. Don boinged Henry up and down on his bed. "Well, thank you, buddy."

"He's right." Meryl smiled as she walked into Henry's room, putting in her earrings. "You do look good."

Don picked Henry up and stood to face his wife, she literally took his breath away. She always looked phenomenal without any work. She was wearing tight jeans tucked into her black riding boots, her purple cashmere v-neck sweater along with the diamond stud earrings he had given her on their first official date night as husband and wife which could be seen because the sides of her hair were pulled back with a clip. Don went over to her and kissed her neck. "You look and smell amazing!"

"I thell." Henry said bringing the attention back to himself. "Me on cwean ammies."

Meryl smiled as she dramatically smelled Henry which made him squirm and giggle. "You do smell good, all clean and in fresh jammies."

"Ready to play with Uncle Dana and Mary." Don winked at Meryl as she looked around his room. "I promise, baby, everything is ready to go. His night lights are plugged in, I have his sippy cup filled with water next to his bed and Colt."

Henry nodded dramatically. "Gots to hab Cowt."

"Yes, we do." Meryl laughed as they walked downstairs and then she took Henry in her arms. "Remember, Gippy, you will be asleep when Mommy and Daddy get home."

Don nodded as Meryl placed Henry in his seat at the breakfast bar, and Don went to get out Henry's supper Meryl had made up earlier that morning and warmed it up in the microwave. "We will, and then tomorrow we are going to Grandma and Grandpa Streep's for the weekend."