Chapter 10

The next morning, Don and Meryl packed up their things they would need in Manhattan with them, though they didn't need to take anything besides their clothes and toiletries and some of Henry's toys back with them. Henry was confused when they told him that they were going home, thinking that Millerton was home; when they talked about the city and his bedroom there then he began to remember a little bit. Don and Meryl had fun singing songs and laughing with Henry on the way back to Manhattan; however, he fell asleep not that far outside of the city. When they pulled into the parking garage in their apartment building, Don picked up Henry and said he would come for the bags later; while Meryl tried to take some of the luggage, Don insisted and she let it go. Until she was seen by her doctors, she knew Don would be nervous about her doing very much even though she kept trying to tell him she was fine. They took a deep breath when they got to their apartment; though they had been there plenty after Kevin Mann kidnapped her and Henry, it was still the first time after losing William and everything that Don and Meryl had gone through in order to get to where they were now. Don looked at her as she put the key in the lock as his arms were full with holding Henry. "Baby, are you sure you're okay with this? I can book us into a nice suite somewhere or, really, I can list this place and..."

"Don Man, this is our home. This is our dream apartment and we worked so hard after fucking Mann to make it our own." Meryl said tenderly. "I know we bought it thinking we would bring William home to it next month, but it's our home, and he will always be a part of us. I am so fucking tired of stuff trying to take our comfort and peace away from us. We have Hen's bedroom, and ours as well, just like we want them. We finally got to a point where we could both go into your studio without thinking about what happened. We have our office all set up. This is our home. I don't want to run away."

Don's teary eyes matched hers as he gently kissed her. "Okay, then. Open it up, baby."

"Well..." Meryl said as they walked in. "It looks the same."

Don nodded with a laugh. "It does. What would you like to do, baby? We had all our mail and calls forwarded to Millerton for the summer so we don't need to do that; or laundry."

"Which is nice." Meryl nodded as she turned on the lights. "And since you talked me into a housecleaner the house smells clean."

Don couldn't help but laugh at her. "Just trying to take care of my girl."

"Which you do perfectly." Meryl rubbed his back; it really was a little overwhelming being back in their apartment, but she wanted to take it a step at a time. She loved their apartment, it really was perfect for them; and she didn't want the pain they had experienced lately to make them leave. "Baby, why don't you lay him down on our bed."

Don nodded as he led them into their bedroom and laid Henry on the bed while Meryl put pillows around him to make sure he didn't roll off. "He's okay in here and not his bedroom?"

"I know we worked so hard to get him to a place where he wasn't sleeping with us anymore, but we aren't sleeping with him and it's not all night." Meryl told her husband as he walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Besides, he often takes naps on our bed."

Don nodded as she laid her head on his chest and he kissed the top of her head while he rubbed her back. "Will you two be alright if I went down and got the bags? I want you to lock the door behind me, though I reminded the doormen that I want tight security here and gave them a list of who is allowed up."

"Of course; baby, they are all in prison." Meryl reminded Don as she looked up at him. "You make sure we are always so incredibly safe."

Don cupped her beautiful face in his hands. "I always will."