Chapter 65

Pretty soon the Gummers' loft was filled with family. Henry was in heaven getting to play with Suzie, having attention from the adults and getting to see the newest babies in the family-Abe and Sammy. Meryl had apologized that she got rid of the bassinet, she and Don wanted to buy all new things when she became pregnant again, but all the adults said it was the perfect excuse for everyone to hold a baby. Drinks were flowing. Laughter filled the room. You could feel the love and respect everyone had for each other permeate the Gummers' large Tribecca loft. As Don took everything in he couldn't help but think how the conversation with his mother was nothing but a distant memory now, all that mattered was celebrating all they had with the people that were nearest and dearest to them.

***

"Mary girl, everything smells delicious." Mary Streep smiled as she walked into the kitchen where Meryl and Don were making sure everything was ready to go. "Did you really make all of this stuff from scratch?"

Don laughed as he was putting the warm rolls in a basket as his wife had asked him to do. "Have you met your daughter? You think she would let me and Hen eat ANYTHING that was processed?"

"Oh, hush." Meryl laughed as she threw a tea towel at her husband. "I enjoy it. It really wasn't that much work, and besides, it was fun getting up early working in the kitchen."

Don saw the glint in her eyes as their eyes connected, both of them thinking about the special time they shared in the kitchen earlier that morning. "I even had fun helping her."

"You two." Mary smiled at husband and wife, having no idea what they were talking about, but just enjoying seeing her daughter so happy and in love. "Okay, what can I do?"

Don grabbed the platter with the turkey on it. "Harry said he brought his carving knife. He can get to work on this bird."

"And please have Hen and Suzie wash up." Meryl said as she finished getting the side dishes out of the oven. "Don and I will finish up in here and will bring everything out."

Mary smirked at both of them. "I would like to eat soon so please no messing around."

"Mother!" Meryl gasped with a laugh as Don winked at her while he handed the platter to Mary. "We'll be right out."

Don went over to Meryl, pulling her to him, once she had closed the oven door. He couldn't wipe the smirk off of his face. "She wasn't exactly wrong."

"No." Meryl laughed. "I like that about us."

"Me too, baby." Don said as he gently kissed her lips, then he pressed his forehead against hers. "Thank you, Darl."

Meryl pulled away and began looking around. Not exactly sure what he was talking about or where this was coming from. "Thank you? Why on earth are you thanking me?"

"You have been working your ass off all week to make sure not only me and Henry but our whole family has a wonderful Thanksgiving." Don said honestly. "I can't tell you how much it means to me to have everyone to our new home, a place where we are starting fresh, as we all celebrate everything we have. Not only would Thanksgiving not be possible without you, but Henry and me being who I am wouldn't be possible without. That, my love, is why I wanted to thank you."

Meryl knew this Thanksgiving would be emotional for both her and Don after everything they had gone through in the last year. "Henry and I wouldn't be here without you. I can't tell you how incredibly much that means to me. I don't care if the food is horrible." Meryl said making him laugh. "Just hearing you say that, and knowing how you feel, means more to me than I can ever possibly tell you."

"I know, baby." Don couldn't resist kissing her lips again when they heard her father yelling for them. "Come on, let's eat this amazing meal you prepared."