Chapter 12

Don and Meryl decided to go to a little cafe' in their neighborhood, Alice's Tea Cup; and since it was the middle of the afternoon, it was pretty empty which made them happy. Since it was still summer, they didn't feel like anything hot to drink; so, instead, they each decided on iced tea and to split a cucumber watercress sandwich with fruit salad even though they had eaten lunch with Henry not that long ago. Don had wished Meryl hadn't insisted on sharing something as he thought she needed to gain weight. "Do you want dessert, Darl?"

"This is more than enough." Meryl smiled tenderly at him as they shared their meal. "I mean, we ate with Henry not that long ago."

Don nodded as he looked at his watch. "A couple of hours ago; and this isn't that much."

"And we'll be eating supper soon." Meryl pointed out to him, making him laugh. "Baby, I really am fine; I know you think I'm losing the pregnancy weight too quickly."

Don picked her hand up and kissed it. "We will see when you go to the doctor this week."

"Yes, we will." Meryl winked at Don as she looked around. "It kind of feels weird to be out and about without Henry. Without him interrupting us and getting his animal crackers everywhere. I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something."

Don laughed at his wife as he took a drink of his tea. "I am too; I know it's hard, babe, but he is safe with Lizzie and Larry and Suzie."

"Oh, I know he is." Meryl knew that very well. "As much as I know we both miss him; I really love this time with you being a normal husband and wife. Going to a cafe' on a Sunday afternoon, and then going to the market later. Hanging out at our home with some of our closest friends later."

Don couldn't agree more. "Me too. I mean, I know we've done a good job at carving out time for each other out in Millerton once Henry was napping or whatever; but I have missed this one on one time out of the house with you."

"Me too, handsome." Meryl said leaning over the table to tenderly kiss his lips. "I say we do this more often. I mean, Third and Maeve have said they will keep him whenever we want tso that they can practice, as have Dana and Mary; and I know Mom and Dad are happy to as well."

Don reached his hand to stroke her cheek. "Are you okay leaving him?"

"For alone time with you? I am." Meryl smirked at her husband. "I'm just not comfortable finding a nanny or..."

Don pressed his finger to her lips. "Neither of us are; especially not right now. That is why we wanted an apartment big enough for my studio so I can work at home, and we can arrange our schedules when you shoot this next movie."

"Which won't be for a while, here in the city." Meryl said as she ran her fingers over his. "When it's time, you are still coming to Warsaw with us, right?"

Don answered her by placing a deep kiss on her lips. "Wild horses couldn't keep me away."

"I know." Meryl winked at him. "Hen seemed better when we left."

Don nodded as he too was relieved about that. "He was; I am so glad Lizzie came to talk to him. I feel better knowing some of this is just being a toddler; though, I know that's not all it is."

"It shook me too, baby." Meryl assured him. "But then when he woke up he seemed fine, playing and talking and laughing as always."

Don nodded with a smile. "That's our boy. It just pissed me the fuck off that monster is still terrorizing the both of you. Damn, I wish I would have killed him for what he did to the two of you."

"Then you would have been in jail..." Meryl choked as tears appeared in her eyes. "And I can't even bear to think about that."

Don didn't want to upset her, and so he quickly leaned over the table and kissed her lips. "Then don't; because it won't happen. I just hate thinking about how that fucker terrorized you two."