Chapter 55

The rest of the day went fairly well, except for when Meryl would somehow find herself alone with her mother-in-law. She thought Jane must have somehow had some radar that she was alone and would take that opportunity to put her down. The first time was when Don was bathing Henry after his nap, and Meryl was in Henry's room setting out his diaper and clothes for his birthday party when Jane came in. "I've noticed Henry isn't potty trained, yet. I guess that's what happens when mothers work." Meryl tried to smile and laugh it off, especially when Don came in and Jane turned into being nice again. Privately, Don had questioned her about her being alone with his mother and wanting to make sure his mother didn't say anything to upset her. Of course, Meryl wanted to protect Don and Henry from Jane, so she said everything was just fine. The next time came when Meryl was in the laundry room having just finished ironing some of Don's shirts. "You know, Meryl, appearance is really important. I can't help but notice how you're not ironing Don's shirts correctly. How is he supposed to get more work when his wife doesn't make sure he looks the part? Or is that what you want? Him to stay home so you can go off and do whatever you want?" It took everything Meryl had not to say anything to Jane, but to just smile and thank her for the suggestion. Meryl then removed herself from the situation, hoping that Jane's stay would go quickly.

***

Soon, the party was underway. Meryl loved how happy Hen was with his train-themed birthday party, and Don loved having everyone in their home, so Meryl did the best she could to make sure everything went well. The apartment was filled with Liz, Larry, Suzie, Sammy, Harry, Mary, Jane, Maeve, Third, Mary Beth, and Third. While everyone was having a good time, Meryl went into the kitchen to lay out the food for dinner. Henry wanted "izza" for his party, so Don and Meryl had decided to order in Henry's favorite pizza. Meryl agreed as long as she could set out veggie and fruit trays, it just made her feel better. Don had offered to help her once the pizza was delivered, but she told him to stay out with everyone and she would take care of it. Don had been visiting with people when he noticed his mother wasn't out with everyone, and he went to his in-laws. "Have you seen my mother?"

"Well..." Harry Streep began as he looked around. "She was just here."

Mary saw the worry in Don's face. "Honey, I'm sure everything is fine. Your father is in jail a thousand miles away and Henry is out here having a great time with all of us."

"I'm not so worried about Hen..." Don began as she saw Henry playing trains with Suzie and his uncles. "I am much more worried about how she treats my wife. I warned her not to cross me where M is concerned, but..."

Harry was so thankful that his daughter was married to a man who loved her as much as Don did. "Don, I know if you thought that Jane said even one word against our daughter then you would take her to the airport yourself."

"I sure as hell told her that when I warned her." Don said as he continued to look around. "I told M that I didn't want her or Henry alone with her, but I have found them alone together a few times and then M gets quiet. Whenever I ask her if my mom is being nice she says yes, and she seems to be in my presence, I just don't know. I know M wanted my mom to stay for me and Henry, but I don't want that if she gets hurt. I'm going to go find them."

Mary and Harry exchanged looks as Mary put her hand on Don's shoulder. "Honey, you stay out here with everyone. I'll go help my daughter and tell her she's foolish for serving things that don't come from a box."

"She wouldn't expect anything less." Don smirked as he kissed his mother-in-law's cheek. "Thanks, Mom, I'll be out here if you need me."

Harry patted Don's back and pointed to the sideboard set up with beverages for the adults in the dining room. "Come on son, let me buy you a drink."