Chapter 6

Meryl was in the kitchen, singing softly to herself, as she prepared dinner for that evening while Henry was still taking his nap and Don was out in the studio. While she and Don were still healing from Kevin Mann and the loss of their baby boy; they were very much in love with each other, and their son, and were moving forward together. After putting Henry down, Meryl had actually convinced Don to go work in the studio. He was hesitant, but she pointed out that they were all completely safe and it was an important step in moving forward. She had also pointed out that it was an important part of moving forward. Meryl smiled when the phone in the kitchen rang; she thought it couldn't be Don, again, as he had already called to check on her and Henry several times. She couldn't blame him after everything they had been through in the past 4 months. "Gummers."

"Hi, honey." Mary Streep smiled at how happy her daughter sounded, and she hoped she remained that way after she heard why she was calling. "How are my favorite daughter, son-in-law, and grandson?"

Meryl laughed at her mother. "Were your only ones, Mama."

"Which is why you're my favorite." Mary tried to keep things light. "How is Millerton?"

Meryl smiled as she sat down at the kitchen table with a glass of lemonade, taking a break from cooking while talking to her mother. "Really good. Don and I are great, Henry is hamming it up as usual and loving being out in the country. I actually talked Don into going into the studio for a little bit; though he has called several times to check on us since we put Henry down for his afternoon nap."

"Of course he has." Mary smiled thinking about what an amazing husband and father her son-in-law was. "That's our Don."

Meryl loved how close Don was with not only her parents but her whole family as well. "That's MY Don." Meryl teased; she could tell her mother was nervous by the tone of her voice. "Everything okay, Mama?"

"Yeah, honey." Mary took a deep breath. "I am calling about tomorrow."

Meryl took a calming breath as she tried to sound happy, the next day was to be Maeve's baby shower. "What can I bring? I haven't talked details with Don, but I am sure I will just drive there myself so he can stay here with Henry. Besides, no men allowed."

"True." Mary said. "Honey, you don't have to come. I know Maeve talked to you and you insisted on coming, but no one expects you to be there."

Meryl shook her head at her mother. "This is my sister-in-law, a dear friend, we are talking about; and my first nephew or niece. Of course, I'm coming."

"Mary, have you really thought about it?" Mary asked softly. "Baby games. Presents for the baby. Talking about Maeve's pregnancy. Sweetheart, that will be a lot for you."

Meryl was tired of people making excuses for her not living her life. "This is family. Yes, it will be hard; but Don and I had already decided that we would give all the stuff we had so far for William to Third and Maeve. This isn't about me, this is about celebrating my nephew or niece."

"You're giving your baby stuff to Maeve and Third?" Mary was shocked. "Honey, don't you want to save it in case you and Don have another..."

Meryl knew what her mother was saying; and yes, she and Don had talked about that. While he told her over and over there was no rush to try again, they also said that they wouldn't feel right giving their next baby items that were meant for William, but they did want to give the items to Maeve and Third. "We will try for another baby at some point, but it doesn't feel right to us to keep those items. That's why we want to give them to Maeve and Third."

"Honey, you really don't have to come tomorrow." Mary was so afraid at how it would affect Meryl; knowing firsthand how difficult healing from losing a child, a child who never had a chance at life, was. "Maeve and Third don't want you to push yourself. They want you and Don, and Henry, of course, to do whatever is best."