Chapter One

I turned around the corner of the street, my hands in my pockets as I blow air out of my mouth, hoping to ease the chilly winds that passed by. I'm not used to this weather in San Diego at all, maybe it's just me.

I stare at the cracked pavement as I wait for the red light so pedestrians can pass. When it finally came, I hurried past the cars, which were all impatiently waiting for us pedestrians to hurry up.

I look back at my phone, the coffee shop was only 3 minutes away now. Thank God, I think I'm going to freeze to death. I placed my phone back in my pocket and I trudged down the sidewalk.

I saw something drop right in front of me. It must have come from the man walking in front of me. I bent down and picked it up, it was a wallet. It looked expensive too, like one of those designer ones.

Ugh, now I have to talk to a stranger to give it back. Oh well, here goes nothing.

I tapped on his shoulder ever so lightly, saying, "Um excuse me, I think you dropped this," holding out the wallet in my hand. He turned to look at me, and I stared at him wide eyed. He was beautiful.

The chocolate curly hair bounced on his head, and I could tell he was a kind soul just by looking at his eyes. He was around my age too, maybe a few years older even.

He smiled at me, replying gratefully,"Thank you so much." He had a slight accent as he spoke, but I couldn't say what accent exactly because I had no idea.

I must have just stood there just admiring him creepily, but I couldn't help it. I've never seen such a beautiful human before.

Our eyes met and he smiled, asking me, "Would you like a picture?" Huh? He wants a picture with me? Why would he want a picture with me? But I most certainly want a picture of him. Just him, without my ugly face in it.

"What? Why would you want a picture with me?" I ask, the words spilling out of my mouth before I could stop them. Stupid, stupid. You're not supposed to ask gorgeous men these kind of dumb questions, Serenity.

I couldn't help but laugh as I handed him my phone, our fingers gently brushed one another and mine tingled when they touched. I'm probably imagining it. He leaned in next to me and snapped a picture of us.

He then quickly typed something on my phone before handing it back to me. Hmm, suspicious. I shrugged it off as I smiled at him one last time, trying to remember those gorgeous chocolate eyes that I thought I would never see again.

"Oh I didn't catch your name," he says to me, and I stare at him nervously. "Oh, it's Serenity. Serenity Falls." What I later realized, was that I never asked for his name.