Chapter Sixteen

"Where are you staying?" I asked Kay and he scratched the back of his neck nervously. Shawn used to do that a lot.. "Um I'm staying in a hotel until I find an apartment," he confesses.

"That would be such a waste of money, just stay with me, I'm sure my mom wouldn't mind," I say and he smiles gratefully. "Thanks so much Ren. I'm so glad you are back in my life again." He says, holding my hand.

"You're welcome. I'm glad to have you back," I say smiling back, eyeing my hand in his. Something about it just seemed..wrong, but I didn't protest. What you really wanted to do was kiss Shawn right now.. Gosh did I really just think that?

We walked to his hotel, and he grabbed his luggage and checked out. We walked back together to my house.

My phone read: July 11th, Thursday, 6 PM as we approached my doorstep. My mom's car was parked so my mom was here. Kay looked at me uncertainly and I smiled reassuringly back at him.

The door creaked open and my mother stood there, a smile on her face. "Hey honey, how was your walk?" She asked me, not noticing Kay at the door.

"Great mom. Listen I uh was hoping we could let Kayden stay here for a few nights until he gets an apartment. You remember Kay right?" I asked, biting my nails. It's a bad habit I have.

My mother gasped as she looked at Kay, and she hugged him unexpectedly, surprising both me and Kay.

"Of course you can stay here, for all you have done for my daughter. I'm so glad you are back,we all missed you," she says, letting go of him. His cheeks turned crimson red and he smiled at my mother, "Thank you Ms. Falls."

"Nono, just call me Janet dear," My mother says as she helps Kay bring in his luggage. I knew my mother would let him stay. Besides, we have an extra bedroom.

"This is your room now. You can do whatever you want and stay as long as you like," I tell him and he nods, setting his luggage down.

"Thank you Ren. You do not know how grateful I am to have found you," Kayden says to me. "Me too," I tell him.

I let him unpack his bags as I retreated to my own room, which was quite close to his. My fingers twitch, and I felt the urge to draw him again.

I don't know what is happening between us right now. This time I drew a closer view of his face, taking the time to draw a more detailed version of his hair.

When I was done and my hand was sore from holding the pencil for so long, I placed it down and admired my work.

The paper was staring back at me, an unreadable look in his eyes, his lips drawn to perfection. I may have messed up a little on his nose though. My hands traced the graphite on the paper, stopping at his lips. These same lips that tried to kiss me yesterday.

I heard the door of my room open and close, which revealed Kay, who smiled at me sheepishly. "Uh hi," he says walking over to me. Everything happened so fast that I couldn't even hide the drawing before he can see it.

"You still draw Ren? I knew you would go big someday, you are so talented," he smiles sadly, and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. Why is he sad?

He looked above the table to see my showcased drawings. "You drew me?" he asks as his hand hovered over the piece I had made about a month ago. It was how I imagined him at the moment, and I wasn't that far off. However, his hair had grown darker over the years, not a dusty brown instead of the chestnut brown I had seen on him.

"Of course I did, you are important to me," I tell him and he smiles widely. His grin drops as he looks at the next piece-the one of Shawn. I made that one just a week ago, but it feels like so long ago.

"Who's he? He looks familiar.." Kay says, an indecipherable emotion laced in his voice.. His eyes flashed with something, but it left as quickly as it came. Jealousy? "A friend," I say, not wanting to elaborate further on the subject. His eyes dropped to the table, to the drawing I was working on and his jaw tightened a little.

"I want to meet him sometime," he says, hinting at something else. "Anyway, what are you going to do for your birthday?"" he says. Oh, I completely forgot about that. July 17th so like 6 days..

"Nothing really i'll probably go hangout with some friends," I say, my eyes flickering to the drawing of Shawn before meeting Kay's eyes once again.

"Oh um about that..could you maybe introduce me to some of your friends..I don't really know anyone here besides you.." Kay asked shyly and I nodded, smiling at him. "Of course, I literally only have 2 friends here: Scarlett and Shawn, and they are both really friendly and nice. You already met Scarlett today, and I think you'll get along with both of them just fine," I say, standing up from my chair, my back sore from sitting for so long.

"Oh okay, thank you," he says, and I turn to look at him. Kay was still taller than me, but not as tall as Shawn.. Why am I comparing I shouldn't be comparing... I look at my nightstand, it's 9 pm, I've been drawing for 3 hours. I should really get some rest.

"We should both get some rest Kay, we have college tomorrow." I tell him and he realizes, "Oh right sorry. Goodnight Ren," and I reply, "Goodnight Kay."

I brush my teeth and lay on my bed. Today has been crazy, I can't believe Kay is here. I forgive him for leaving me, it wasn't his fault, he had to. I wonder why he didn't say goodbye though.

I toss and turn in bed, but I couldn't get my mind at rest. He was always invading my thoughts. First it was Shawn, but now it's him. But Shawn didn't invade my thoughts in a bad way, it was nice to think about him. But this-this just triggered memory after memory.

He's invading my privacy. I thought I could finally be safe now that he is locked up, but no, even when he is away, he still haunts me. Those cold blue eyes.

I hate looking in the mirror, because when I look at my eyes, they remind me of him. Except my eyes were dull most of the time, the blue slowly mixing in with the gray. If you look closely, my eyes had speckles of blue mixed in the gray. But no one has gotten close enough to see it. Except Kayden. And now Shawn.

My eyes closed, and I slowly drifted off into sleep, with only Kay on my mind. He was the only one who could erase the pain. Or so I thought.