Chapter Twelve

Apparently the new transfer student from London is coming in 4 days, according to Scar. How and where she got this news, I don’t know. “Oh come on, you can’t tell me you aren't just a little bit curious?” she asked me, to which I shook my head.

I’ve got other things to worry about than boys. It’s only been 3 days since college started, but somehow I still have loads of work to do. They gave me an assignment, already! What a nice welcome.

The assignment read:

If you approach a stranger, and ask permission to make their portrait (or if you’re photographing a model), it is hard to direct your subject.

Ask them to look in different directions.

For example, ask your model to look into the camera, and don’t smile. Then ask them to look up, down, left, and right.

Often people have a “better side.” Not only that, but by having your subject look up and down, you change the mood of the photo.

When your subject is looking up, they look more confident, encouraged, and powerful.

When your subject is looking down, they look more downtrodden, depressed, and negative.

One tip: ask your subject to look at your hand while you’re photographing them. Then move your hand, and see how their eyes track your hand.

Purpose:
Changing the eye and head position of your subject will change the emotion of the photo. Experiment with different head positions with your subject, and you will have more photos to choose from.

I groaned. This is so annoying, where am I supposed to find a subject? I would ask my mother, but shes at work right now. Unless..

Serenity: Hey Shawn
I need a favor

Shawn: sure, what's up?

Serenity: Can you come over?
Like right now

Shawn: One sec
Yeah I can
Why?

Serenity: thank you thank you thank you!
You are the best

Shawn: I'll be there in 10

Thank God he's coming. I set up a side of my room where Shawn could pose looking different directions. I also have different backdrops just to see which one would work best, if Shawnq is willing. 

"So how shall I be of your assistance?" He asks me, to which I smile at him. "I need to take photos of you..it's for my college assignment that's due tomorrow. I'm sorry it's so last minute, I just couldn't find anyone," I ramble, looking at him.

He chewed his bottom lip nervously, as he smiled uneasily, "Sure. Can I-uh see the assignment?" I nodded, handing him the paper. 

He looked at it before nodding approvingly. "So..you're the boss, tell me what to do," he says, which made me break into a huge smile. I instruct him, "go stand in front of that wall," and he obliges. 

He runs his fingers through his hair nervously as I stand in front of him. "Look directly at the camera first alright?" and he nods, following my directions precisely. Man he's really good at this.

Nono, his standing just won't do. "One sec," I tell his as I grab a striped pillow and pass it over to him. "Can you sit down and lean on this to make it more aesthetic?" I request, and he does what is told. He unbuttoned the top 3 buttons of his jean jacket, and he wasn't wearing anything underneath. I felt my eyes trail down his neck, but I averted my gaze to the camera lens. I arranged for light to be on one side of his face, from the window, so I could get the aesthetic, once again.

Okay, step 1, done. Now I need to make him look left, then right, then up, then down. So much work, and I feel bad for wasting your time. "Woohoo, 1 shot done!" I celebrate and he smiles at my childish demeanor. 

"Can I see it?" He asks shyly and I nod, showing it to him. He smiles at me, "Wow, you're really good!" And I blush, "Thanks. Well we're not done yet," I remind him to which he gets up again. 

This time I made him face my left and I took pictures. However, being a white background was a bit too bland, but I didn't want to be over the top so I just took a tile padding and made him pose from there. Fortunately Shawn was super cooperative and funny, so I didn't get bored doing this.

Then I made him turn to the right, but this time I made him stand up and used photoshopped to make it look like he was actually outside.

Then I made him look down, just like the assignment told me to, but used a dark background, similar to the one of a bar to make it alluring and mysterious, also using that worn out tape look to make it rustic. Also one of his curls rested at the front of his face, which I found super adorable.

"Okay we are done!" I exclaim loudly and he laughs at me. "Thank you Shawn for coming, I literally had no subject, and I don't really want to ask random people on the street…" I say gratefully. Honestly I would be dead meat without him.

"It's no problem, I was nearby anyway. It's kinda unfair that they gave you an assignment on the first day," he tells me, and I pout. 

"Yeah I know, what a great welcome," I say, sarcasm practically dripping from my voice. He chuckles and we exchange our goodbyes and he heads off.