Chapter Eleven

It’s been a week since I last talked to Shawn, but i’ve been busy. Besides, today is the first day of college for me? To say i'm nervous is an understatement. I’m not going to know anyone there, because Shawn is going to a different college. Maybe that's for the better, eventually my feelings for him will go away..right?

I kiss my mother goodbye as I begin to mentally prepare myself. It’s a 20 minute walk, and I can’t use my mom’s car because she has to go to work, and I can’t really afford a car, so here we are. 

I should probably find a side job so I can eventually pay for my own stuff, I can’t always rely on my mother. It’s not like we’re poor, it’s just ever since that pathetic excuse of a father left, we’ve been barely getting by. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I’m grateful for everything.

I walked for what seemed like forever until I finally caught a glimpse of the campus. San DIego City College is huge. I went on with my day, doing all the classes, and I managed to make 1 friend, sorta. Her name was Scarlett, and she was really bubbly and fun to be around. I can tell I’m going to like her. We hung out the entire day, and she gave me her phone number.

“Hey, I heard there is a new student transferring from London, but I heard his flight got delayed,” he said excitedly. “Oh that’s cool,” I smiled at her. Oh I forgot to mention, she was a tiny bit boy crazy, but to be fair, who isn’t?

“Have any boys caught your attention, I mean Jeremy from Math class looked cute,” she asked me curiously. I shook my head and laughed, “No Scar, i’m not looking for a relationship,” I say, but asked her, “What about you? Anyone on your mind?” I winked at her, and she shrugged.

“I don’t know, I can’t really tell yet, everyone here seems so..bland,” she says, scrunching her cute nose in disgust. I chuckled at her, “Yeah, everyone is here for education, just like you should be. Well I should be going, so I guess I'll see you tomorrow?” I ask her, hoping she says yes. She smiled brightly at me, her eyes shining from happiness, “Sure thing, bye Serenity!” and I wave back to her.

On my way back home, I checked my phone to see a few texts from Shawn. I look through them, I kinda feel bad for somewhat ignoring him last week, I didn’t mean to..I was just busy, that’s all.. Besides, that night, I opened up to him, I told him everything..my father, the bruise.. It was all just unexpected of me..

Shawn: Hey Serenity
How was college?

Serenity: Oh hey Shawn
Sorry I haven't been answering your texts recently
Just have been busy
But college was fun

Shawn: No it’s alright
That’s good to hear
Whatcha doing?

Serenity: Just walking home

Shawn: You know I never asked you
Don’t you have a car?
You’re always walking places

Serenity: Uh I don’t actually
Only my mom has one
Also I don’t have a drivers’ license yet
That’s why im glad to have my knight in shining armor 
Drive me places

Shawn: Who is this knight you speak of?

Serenity: You, you idiot

Shawn: Oh lol
Of course m’lady
*curtseys*

Serenity: lol well how was your first day in college?

Shawn: Um great
I like it there

Serenity: That’s good to hear
Whatcha doing rn?

Shawn: Talking to you ;)
And playing my guitar
Don’t ask how I can do both..

Serenity: How? 

Shawn: No.

Serenity C'mon tell me!
Please?
I’m curious!

Shawn: I lied
I was playing guitar
But I decided to talk to u instead

Serenity: oh..
Well, play something for me then

Shawn: Oh um sure
Facetime?

Serenity: sure

*Shawn facetimes Serenity*
Shawn: *sings*

Serenity: Shawn..
That was beautiful
You have an amazing voice, you could seriously become famous
If you put yourself out there

Shawn: *Nervously looks around*
Thanks Serenity
But you’re biased
I can't take opinions from you

Serenity: Not true!
*huffs in annoyance as she continues walking*
Okay, maybe slightly
But only cuz ur my best friend

Shawn: *laughs*
*puts guitar down next to him*
I am?

Serenity: Yeah of course!
Anyway Shawn I’m almost home
Talk to ya later?

Shawn: Yeah for sure
Bye!
*ends Facetime*

I find myself smiling to myself as I enter the house. His smile and laugh is so contagious, and the song he played was so beautiful, he could really go places with that voice and talent, but he won’t believe me!