Chapter Thirteen

"Oh my God, I spend the whole night yesterday working on the photography assignment. Who do they think they are, giving us work on the first day?!" Scarlett exclaims, extremely frustrated. 

"I had to ask my sister to pose of me, and she is such a whiny brat," she complains and I chuckle at her. "What did you do?" she asked me, knowing I don't have any siblings.

"Oh, I asked a friend to come over and help me, thank God he could, I don't know what I would do without him, I literally have no other friends," I say laughing at myself.

Scar's eyebrows arched, "He? Ooh Serenity, a special someone in your life you haven't told me about?" And I rolled my eyes. Shoot I shouldn't have mentioned him lol.

"We are just friends Scar. That's it." I tell her, and she lifts her hands up in surrender, "Yeesh okay, no need to get so worked up about it." We dismissed the topic after that.

Truth was..ever since that-thing happened about a week ago, I haven't been myself. My mind keeps wandering back to him. What would have happened if he hadn't pulled away, would we have kissed?

I-I cant keep doing this. We never even brought that up, we just dismissed it and continued being close friends. 

I-I like him a lot, and it's hard just being a friend..but it has to stay that way. A relationship isn't good for me, not at this time, and he probably doesn't want one- at least with me anyway.

I say goodbye to Scar and start walking home, yet again. Thank God I don't have work today, I just have to read 200 pages of this book about photography. That's only the first chapter… Oh dear..

I heard the new boy from London is coming tomorrow, and everyone in college has been freaking out about him. I mean like why, so what if he has a British accent or whatever, it's not like I care.

My phone rings in my pocket and I take it out, answering the call without looking at the contacts.

"Hello?" I asked uncertainly, and a friendly voice responds, "Hey Serenity," and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. It's only Shawn, thank god.

"What's up?" I ask him, knowing that there is a reason why he called. "I..um..was wondering if you could come over and listen to a song that I wrote..I need your help," he says nervously.

Oh my gosh.. "Um.. Sure, send me the address okay?" I say, trying not to let my excitement show too much. I can practically imagine his glowing smile from the other end and I smiled to myself.

We ended the call, and Shawn sent me the address. Thank God it's only a 12 minute walk from my college, because if it was more than that I would have honestly passed out.

I knock on the door, panting for air. Damn I am out of shape. 

The door opened, "Hi, oh my God are you okay?" He asks holding my shoulder tenderly. I laughed, still panting, "Yeah I'm fine, just a little out of shape."

"Come in, I'll get you some water," he says, guiding me in, his hand still on my shoulder. I slowly regained my normal breathing and I followed him into the kitchen, where he gave me a glass of water. 

"Thank you," I say, smiling gratefully and he smiles back at me sweetly, removing his hand from my shoulder. I drink the water while I discreetly assess his outfit. This water tastes really good, it seems fancy. Anyway, back to his outfit.. He looked good, as usual, his black shirt and black jeans was simple but nice.

I hand him back the empty glass and he places it on the counter. "So.." I say awkwardly.. it's not like I'm just standing here in his house, in his kitchen right now.. No that would be absurd.

"Oh right, come upstairs, we should get started," he says, finally snapping out of his daze as he turns and walks to the right. He starts climbing up the stairs and I groan, "stairs?!" And he chuckles at me, not waiting for me. Rude.

I trudged up the stairs and when I finally reached the top, there was a narrow hallway. We passed quite a few doors of the house-wait didn't he say he was in an apartment? "Shawn this is a house not an apartment," I tell him and he shakes his head, "Nope..apartment." 

Oh dear.. If this is an apartment, I don't  wanna know what a house looks like according to him. This place is huge, no way it's an apartment! The truth is, I'm just really really poor.. or maybe he's really really rich?

He stopped in front of a door, and he opened it for me, silently telling me to walk inside. It must be his room. I stepped in and stood at the center of the room, looking around. The room was mostly black, except for a few green pieces of decor. Weirdly enough, I didn’t see a guitar in sight. 

There wasn’t a desk, however, there was a window bench with many pillows on it, which I found cute and relaxing. The view was the community garden in the neighborhood, and it was gorgeous. I would seriously love one of those.

He had a few posters up on the wall, a nice full bed and a closet. I heard a cough and realized that Shawn was here this entire time, probably watching me gawk over his room. Well that’s nice..

I turned around to look at him, and had an amused expression on his face as he leaned on the doorframe and I felt my cheeks reddening out of embarrassment. “I’m gonna go get my guitar, feel free to look around if you like,” he says winking at me before he leaves. 

I stared at the little window perch, and noticed a little book on it with a pen, open to one of the pages. I picked up the book delicately as my eyes scanned the page. My fingers traced the black ink..are these song lyrics? They are beautiful… This one’s not finished though, I think he’s still working on it.

Deciding not to pry further, I placed the book and pen exactly where it was and looked around. Why is it taking Shawn so long to get his guitar?

I slide the door of the closet, wondering if it was going to be as clean as the visible part of the room. My closet is just stuffed with a bunch of junk. Unlike mine, his was neat and tidy, a few clothes on the hanger while I presume the rest in his drawers. 

Wow these outfits look fancy! All I see are brand names, and not cheap ones in fact. Calvin Klein, Louis Vatton, even Gucci? Wow Shawn must be seriously loaded.. I wonder what his parents do for a living? I shut the door of the closet and stare at the posters on the wall. John Mayor, Ed Sheeran, these must be his inspiration for music.

I hear the door hinge creak and Shawn steps inside with a guitar in hand. He chuckles at me, “Why are you still standing, sit down, let’s get started,” he says as he closes the door behind him.