Chapter Thirty

When I wake up, no one is beside me. For a second, it made me think that yesterday night was a dream, but when I saw the concert tickets on the nightstand, I knew it had happened. It sure did feel like a dream though.

But ever since yesterday, something has been getting under my skin. I know I shouldn't pry or complain but like.. What are we? I don't want to get too attached if we can't be together. I really want to have this conversation with him before it gets too far.

 I'll ask him after the concert. That will give me enough time to think everything out and mentally prepare myself if we can't be together.i don't know, i'm probably overthinking and it's just nothing..

Today is Friday. Finally, the weekend is so near. I met up with Kay and Scar and finished my classes. I walked home feeling exhausted by the week. It's a Friday night..what should I do? Scar is at a family dinner, I just hang out with Shawn yesterday.. I will ask Kayden if we can hang out.

He said to come over to his new apartment and he sent me the address. Only one problem.. It's dark out and last time I walked outside it didn't go well at all. I shivered at the memory.

"Hey um I forgot to ask..could you maybe pick me up?" I bite my lip nervously. "Oh yeah..I'm using a rental until I get my own. I'll be over in 10" he says through the call.

I changed into a pair of ripped jeans and a distressed Rolling Stone t-shirt just in time for Kayden to arrive. I remember to grab my phone and keys on the way out but not before leaving a note on the fridge in case my mom gets worried.

We have light conversation on the way to his apartment. "When are you planning on getting a car?" I ask him. "Oh, I was wondering if you would come with me next weekend to look together?" He asks, his eyes twinkling with hope. I hate to let him down, but me and Shawn are going to a Drake concert.

"Sorry Kay, Shawn and I are going somewhere next weekend. Maybe some other time?" I ask him lightly, and he nods.

I couldn't help but notice the way Kay slightly grimaced when I mentioned Shawn. "So are you two dating?" He asks me as we get out of the car. "What? No!" I say, my cheeks slightly reddening at the thought. He seemed skeptical, "uh-huh," is all he says. We walk into his apartment and I sit on the couch. He sits down beside me. 

"It sure seems like it," he says, trying to keep the mood light. "Well we're not," I say, trying to sound nonchalant about it all.

He starts to lean in to kiss me and I panic. "Kay what are you doing?" I ask, my words rushed out. He forces a laugh out, "Nothing," leaning away. Um..talk about awkward.. "Sorry about that, I don't know what came over me," he explains. 

"It's fine," I discard it lightly," guess I'm irresistible eh?" I joke, trying to clear the air as he passes me the remote.Oh god, Shawn has really been influencing me, I sound like such a Canadian. He laughs, a light crimson tainting his cheeks. 

I pass the remote to him," You pick something. I have no clue," I say, handing him the remote. He fumbles through the options until he picks one. Aa the movie starts I recognize the beginning. "Wait a second! I've seen this movie before!" I blurt out before I can stop myself. Kayden seemed surprised by my outburst,"Really? It only came out like last week," he says. "Yeah, Shawn and I watched it together yesterday at my house," I say. 

"Oh that's nice.. so it was a date?" He asks as the movie plays in the background. That doesn't concern him.. "No, not really, we were just hanging out, like you and me," I say, wincing slightly at my choice of words. I did not just compare Shawn to Kay. 

"Anyway, wanna watch something else then?" He asks, trying to change the topic. I shrug, "If you want, I mean we weren't watching much of it anyway." Oops.. I said that aloud. The way I worded that sounds so dirty oh god.. I've made things so awkward..

We both ignore my comment, thankfully. Kaydon coughed multiple times. "Hey are you sick?" I ask, putting my hand to feel his forehead. It is quite warm. "I'm not sure.. I mean I don't know maybe?" He says hesitantly. He coughs again, this time longer and he seemed like he was in pain. 

"Can I get you anything, maybe some water?" I ask, the movie long forgotten and now playing in the background. He nods and I quickly get him a glass of water. Before he can so much as to grab the glass, he coughs again. 

This time he runs to sink and coughs out something red. I follow him and stand next to him. Oh my god. He's coughing out blood. I rub his back and move his hair out of his face as more clotty blood pours out of his mouth. When he stops coughing, he quickly wipes his mouth and turns off the faucet, huffing for air. 

He sinks down, now sitting on the floor with his back leaning on the cabinet. I panic. Stay calm. You need to stay calm for him. I sit in front of him, my legs around his as I cup his face. "How are you feeling?" Trying to keep my voice leveled and controlled.

 "I- feel.. fine.. A little lightheaded.." he says, breathy. I don't believe him for a second. "C'mon, let me take you to the hospital," I say getting off his lap and helping him up.